C++ standards.

Started by
4 comments, last by KurtCPP 20 years ago
Hi every-1. I''m wondering why VC++6.0''s compiler doesn''t tell me anything when I declare void main(...) whereas GCC does and warns me that I should use int main(...) to comply with the ANSI standard. Is this standard more recent than VC++6.0?? And furthermore, neither does VC++6 recognize the header as , , etc... Do these ".h-less" headers belong to a new standard too?? Thanks for your guidance. Prog, Hex & Rock''n''Roll : I don''t like the Prog but the Prog likes me. Some nice poetry to sweeten your spirit and relax a bit before programming
Prog, Games & Rock'n'Roll :I don't like the Prog but the Prog likes me.
Advertisement
Visual C++ 6.0 slightly predates the standard, I believe; in any case it is notorious for its poor compliance and is IMHO best avoided.
g++ also causes an error--you get only a warning when compiling c code. I tested this with gcc 3.3.3, but in general c++ is 1002301x more anal than C

anyway, put void main(void) {} in a .c file, compile with gcc -- only a warning. rename .cc, notice an error this time. gcc is correctly reacting differently to c and c++..

so msvc and g++ are behaving the same

be more careful in the future
oh yeah, update your shit, lots of people are slow with c++
OK. Thanks for having answered so quickly. Is it such a serious issue that M$ always wants to impose us their own home-made standards instead of complying with the ones that should be used? Let''s use Linux!! And how about the ".h-less" header files. Is this also related to standards. I''ve been explained here that only theses files are complying with C++ normalization.
Does Billy want to show that he has a strong personality??

Prog, Hex & Rock''n''Roll :
I don''t like the Prog but the Prog likes me.
Some nice poetry to sweeten your spirit and relax a bit before programming
Prog, Games & Rock'n'Roll :I don't like the Prog but the Prog likes me.
quote:Original post by KurtCPP
OK. Thanks for having answered so quickly. Is it such a serious issue that M$ always wants to impose us their own home-made standards instead of complying with the ones that should be used?

Check out VS.NET 2003. It is very standards compliant.

quote:
And how about the ".h-less" header files. Is this also related to standards. I''ve been explained here that only theses files are complying with C++ normalization.

Yes. The c++ standard library headers are all h-less

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement