facts - how big software teams are?

Started by
2 comments, last by EvilKind 20 years ago
Where can I find some facts on how big software teams are for making computer games, what the team''s typical roles are in making the game and how long it takes them to develop the latest game, etc. What would you say the difficulties are when making a game? Thanks!
I got 2 books, one on game programming and another on miracles so I can understand.
Advertisement
I highly recommend reading the Post-Mortem articles on
Gamasutra. They contain exactly the information you're looking for,
and then some.

I think they've collected all the articles and published
them in a book. I can't remember the name right now. Just
do a search on Amazon or whatever.

Kami no Itte ga ore ni zettai naru!

[edited by - tangentz on April 20, 2004 11:08:15 AM]
神はサイコロを振らない!
The numbers probably vary greatly. ID software seems to have a relatively small dev team unless they have expanded for dev of DOOM III.

edit - I was trying to find the article where John Carmack talks about the size ofdev teams. I cant find it but I remember him mentioning no more than 4-5 ppl and he thinks that group can still make the best games in the world. Of course the article wasnt exactly printed last week either.

The UK government DTI agency commisioned a report (reserached by Spectrum). It is quite recent and is full of useful info. See this page:

http://www.dti.gov.uk/industries/computer_games/downloads.html

It says development now takes between 18-24 months with a team of around 20-30 costing 1-2 million uk pounds.

Anyway its full of facts

------------------------See my games programming site at: www.toymaker.info

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement