strange link error

Started by
2 comments, last by emmai 19 years, 12 months ago
--------------------Configuration: engine - Win32 Debug-------------------- Linking... LINK : fatal error LNK1102: out of memory Error executing link.exe. slickworm.exe - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s) I''d never saw this before.... my machine is p4 2.4c,512ddr
Advertisement
Have you tried restarting visual studio? If that doesn''t help restart the computer. And if that still doesn''t help, check if you have enough free space on the drive your swapfile is and check the swapfile settings.

If the above doesn''t help, then I don''t know what''s the problem..
From the online LINK documentation (suprisingly):

quote:
Linker Tools Error LNK1102
out of memory

There was not enough memory for the tool to run. Probably the paging file exceeded available disk space.

If a shortage of disk space is not the cause, note the circumstances of the error, try to isolate the problem and create a reproducible test case, then consult the technical-support help file or the technical-support section in one of your manuals.

[edited by - Nurgle on April 20, 2004 2:44:24 PM]

After careful deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that Nazrix is not cool. I am sorry for any inconvienience my previous mistake may have caused. We now return you to the original programming

This is a shot in the dark, but it could work...

A few tools attempt to read the amount of disc space, and convert it into a 32-bit signed integer in bytes.

This often results in an overflow and they think they''ve got a negative amount of space free.

So if you had 3Gb of space free on your C: drive (or wherever the linker puts its temp files), it might think it had -1G

As a total experiment, try having an amount of disc space free which results in a positive number of bytes 2''s complement 32bit.

For example: less than 2Gb, 4Gb-6Gb etc

I have actually seen this bug in other tools (MS SQL server 7 used to have this bug in some tools, if memory serves)

Mark

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement