Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Engine Design

This topic is 4985 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Until now I have coded applications, examples to learn ... successfully, but now, I want to code an simple Engine, but my main problem is the design, the structure of the program, my programs are usually in plain C or in C++ doing some classes, templates but not strange things (awfull programs filled of extern,lot of functions and files ...). In theory I have clear the design, but not in practice (ex. I know that I have to do a Render module, a material/texture manager module, I/O files module ..., but I don''t know how to translate it to classes). thanks

Its not that difficult, you just need to plan a little. Just yesterday I''ve rewritten my OpenGL Font Class (to display text on sreen) to have a BaseClass.
Then a TextureFont Class (the font that uses an image file) and the BitmapFont(the one that uses Windows font) inherits from the BaseClass Font.

Now when I need to print on screen using any font-system, I just pass the variable of the Font-type I''m using through the parameter and the functions executes that font-class''s Print method. A great OO design I must say.

You can implement it with just about any other system. I''ve thought of to create a Class that handles all the game time and make it a BaseClass.

If you know Classes, you''ll come up with something...
I hope I helped you a bit.

// Last Attacker \\---=( LA )=---// LA Extreme \\

ICQ Number : 120585863

E-mail: laextr@icqmail.com