i wanna start to make games

Started by
12 comments, last by tribal24 20 years ago
Here is another great site to help you get started...

www.gametutorials.com

Advertisement
Dev-C++ is evil. MinGW Developer Studio is not.

Does anyone else find this thread kind of trollish?

[edited by - Raloth on April 20, 2004 11:39:09 PM]
____________________________________________________________AAAAA: American Association Against Adobe AcrobatYou know you hate PDFs...
Uh, why is dev-C++ evil? I used it to learn C++, and I''m still using it. I mean, MinGW devstudio rocks too, but....Ah. Nm. Anyway,
tribal, you need to stop being lazy and buy some books. Maybe look at online tutorials....
Allright.

If you''re used to things like Mugen or RM2k3, forget it. You have NO idea what you''re getting into. Forget absolutely anything these two engines have thought you, save perhaps for some concept ideas. This is not programming. This is not what you will be doing. At all. Not even remotely. Not even by a long-shot.

Ok, the disclaimer''s over. Here''s the useful info. First of all, read... this here. Yes, it''s complicated, but read it. You''re a beginner. You''re less than a beginner: you haven''t even begun yet. Things will seem complicated so start by starting: get a compiler and do the really basic stuff. Write the traditional "Hello world!" program everyone writes at some point in their lives. First step would be to pick a language. C++ may be a bit too advanced for you at this point. If you have the money for it, get Visual Basic. It''s as close to a game-maker program as it gets and should bridge the gap between actual programming and game-making apps. You can also try Delphi, which is kinda like VB in some ways.

Read up on the language you want to use. There are a lot of things to learn, so start by the simple stuff. Like I said, your first challenge will be getting the words "Hello world!" on your screen. Don''t expect to do this right away: give it about a week or so. Once you get that part done though, you''ve taken one heck of a large step. You''re now a beginner.

Move on and try more complex stuff. Remember: baby steps. You''re a beginner now. Until you can write your first simple, really basic game, you''re a beginner and there''s hardly any reason for you to try to get ahead of yourself just yet. Learn about variables. Pointers, if the language you''re using has those. Learn how to draw stuff on the screen when you''re really comfortable with the language. Start work on a game. There''s a nice tutorial for a tetris clone here, though it''s in C++. Got a game up and running, even though it''s pretty crappy? Perfect: you''re now an initiate.

From that point on, the road is long, long, and long. In fact, some would say it never ends. But you''ve started on it and there''s no turning back now. The next step is to gain an addiction to caffeine and to discard your social life. Start staying up all night and sleeping during the day. And for the love of god, do not get into a relationship. You''re a programmer now.

Good luck!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement