i wanna start to make games

Started by
12 comments, last by tribal24 19 years, 12 months ago
can anyone help me i wanna start making games but dont know where to start i have done rpg maker 2003 but its not original enough i also done mugen ut i wanna make one on my own can someone help me and give me the basics
Advertisement
It''s tranditional to point beginners to this link which lists most of the frequently asked questions for people new to game development.
i dont know anything about the stuff on the page
i went there but i dont wanna buy books i want to make 2d games
YOu can''t just magically acquire the knowledge to make games. You have to learn from somewhere- books being a good source.

Tell us how much you know about the process of making games. Do you know anything about programming?
quote:i dont know anything about the stuff on the page

Then it''s probably a good reason to start reading it?

quote:i went there but i dont wanna buy books i want to make 2d games

You can try this online C++ tutorial.

http://cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

You can get a free c++ compiler and IDE at www.bloodshed.net

I''m sure other can link you to better tutorials. But for now, read that, and start slow. You can''t make games on your own until you know the basics.

ok i dont dont know which one to download
This one.

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/dev-cpp/devcpp4980.exe
Hm, I was about to scream NOT VERSION 4, but, the tutorials pointed to are rather out dated - or at least they were the last time I checked.

Listen, tribal, the best thing you can do is get some programming experience before attempting C++ - C++ is a big, nasty language for beginners, so you should try out Python for a bit. It's a great language that's easy to grasp and the tutorials are a breeze.

Give it a shot, it'll give you understand what's going on.

[edited by - Drevay on April 20, 2004 8:48:28 PM]
_________________Politics is the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn't happen. -- Winston ChurchillGDNet-0.2 - rate users the easy way with this nifty Firefox extension. Updated with new features.
Books are how most of the people on this site get their knowledge. Once you have this knowledge, fill in any gaps by asking on this forum. After filling in my gaps of knowledge by asking stupid questions, I know C/C++ extensivly, so if you ever learn those languages, or just need some help with the learning, e-mail me at Drakkcon@SoftHome.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement