Who hires writers?

Started by
6 comments, last by Giffard 19 years, 12 months ago
I"m a little new to writing for games, even though I have been writing for years, and would like to know if anyone knows where to look for jobs for game writers. I have several ideas for games, but I''m sure developers won''t look at my ideas until I''m a little more setteled into this area already. Not to mention most of my ideas are for rpg or mmorpg style games. Which I know is not very big in the US. Suric G. Brunson
Suric G. Brunson
Advertisement
1) If you really want to work as a writer in the US, you''ll need much better grammar.

2) Everyone has ideas, so don''t count on someone going head over heels for some idea.
Currently no companies hires game writers. You''ll have to get a job in some other aspect of the industry and work you way up.

-----------------------------------------------------
"Fate and Destiny only give you the opportunity the rest you have to do on your own."
Current Design project: Ambitions Slave
quote:Original post by TechnoGoth
Currently no companies hires game writers. You''ll have to get a job in some other aspect of the industry and work you way up.

nope, wrong. A friend of mine just got hired to write for an upcoming AAA title that will be shown at E3. Game companies are most certainly hiring writers. However, at the moment they seem to be chiefly hiring from the hollywood talent pool. (i.e. from what i''ve heard the only people being hired as writers have either written or produced a big budget hollywood movie).

-me

perhaps I should of said no companies are hiring new writers for games. Like all jobs if your esablished in a related field its possible to get a job.

-----------------------------------------------------
"Fate and Destiny only give you the opportunity the rest you have to do on your own."
Current Design project: Ambitions Slave
I can hire you.. I have an idea to a technically very easy game (interactive movie - yay go 90''s), but I have trouble coming up with a good story. I have the basic shell of the story, but I can''t fill in the betweens.
Unfortunately this is a non commercial hobby project so I can''t pay you, but it''ll be a great learning experience and probably worth putting on your resume if you''re going to look for work as a writer.

Aside from this, you should check out the Writers Guild of America. It''s afik free to join and a lot of hollywood and probably game writers are members.
Wanna know how many people have ideas for games?

Now imagine you''re a company. Nice, big, badass corporate muscle just lounging about and racking in the cash. Or maybe just an up and coming slug slowly crawling its way up the corporate ladder. Why would either want something anyone can provide?
hey RuneLancer,

if every company had people who could give them what I can why do they still not have a game out on the market like the one I want to play?
Then obviously they do not have people that can do exactally what everyoen can or what everyone wants. All companies have are people that can regurge what is populal on the market today.
Suric G. Brunson

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement