Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sprite system tutorials

This topic is 4989 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I need some tutorials on creating a sprite system(kinda like LaMonthe''s BOB Engine) I dont care what API it uses(I use SDL but I also know Win32 and DirectDraw) also it would be good if it was in C or C++(preferably C)

Ok so i did not find any tutorials but i have a pretty good idea of how the system is going to work.

First im going to have a Base Class which will hold the basic info of the sprite(x position, y position, speed) and will hold the drawing and loading functions. Then im going to have a linked list of Frame structs which will hold an pointer to an SDL surface and a delay variable. Then on the Base sprite Class ill have a function that will load all the .bmps into the Frame linked list. Then ill have a function that will loop through the linked list and will render all the surfaces to screen with the desired animation delay.

This is one of the methods i think will work the other was using a Vector to hold all the frames(but the vector only holds 1 value instead of the 2 i need)

If anyone has any better way of doing it that would be great.