Subversion and localhosts

Started by
4 comments, last by Codejoy 20 years ago
I am trying to get subversion up and running, id like to test the svnserver and well this might be a dumb question but, how do you I make my computer localhost? Its a winXP machine. Sorry if this is wrong forum or stupid topic, but u guys are smarter than I here, and can help out. Thanks Shane
Advertisement
Um, localhost is 127.0.0.1, which is your local machine.
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis
localhost should already be defined to be 127.0.0.1.

If not, something is seriously wrong.

But you can also use the numeric IP, which should always work.

Kami no Itte ga ore ni zettai naru!
神はサイコロを振らない!
TO be more specific:

The name "localhost" always resolves to address 127.0.0.1

The address 127.0.0.1 is hard-coded in all IP implementations to mean "the local machine".

Thus, if you open a cmd window, and type this:

C:\> nslookup localhost

it''ll come back with:

Name: localhost
Address: 127.0.0.1

And if you do:

C:\> ping 127.0.0.1

You''ll get something like:

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Pretty fast, because it''s pinging itself.

That being said, I thought subversion hosted itself inside Apache with the modWebDAV module? Wouldn''t you need to also install Apache, then? Or have they moved away from that?
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Thats what I need, and yes subversion works with apache, but it has a "lite" server since im new to apache id figure id have more luck getting their lite server working than apache which looks like a beast.

(if its not already apparent, I really suck at networking stuff)
I think subversion can also work on a repository which consists of local files. But the instructions say not to use a networked (SMB, NFS etc) volume.

That''s to say - don''t use a networked volume for the subversion database itself. I assume it''s ok to check files out on to a networked volume.

Also you don''t need to work on your files on the same box you run subversion on.

So if you have multiple developers one option is to give them their own logins on the same box and all use svn locally on that machine (even if doing the actual development elsewhere f.e. on their workstations)

Mark

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement