rotating 3d cube in assembly

Started by
31 comments, last by noob2asm 19 years, 11 months ago
quote:Original post by benryves
Of course, you could use ASCII to render the cube...

ASCII 3D rendering (using JavaScript!)

I''m odd, yes, I know. I just love ASCII!

Wireframe cube

Flame effect

Polygon rendering

And more!

That''s so awsome!
_________________Politics is the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn't happen. -- Winston ChurchillGDNet-0.2 - rate users the easy way with this nifty Firefox extension. Updated with new features.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by izzo
You can use mode 13h under Windows XP. You can do a lot of things under XP actually. A lot of standard ports and interrupts are still available. Check out this tiny fire I wrote in assembly language; it works under XP. Also this (simple) platformer.

If you''re interested in learning assembly language, go for it! Don''t listen to the naysayers who tell you that it''s dead, or that you should use 32 bit this or that. There''s nothing wrong with a bit of intellectual stimulation, or with doing something because you''re curious, no matter how outdated it might be!

cheers
sam

Personally? I''ve been wanting to learn assembly for a very long time, but all the naysayers drove me away from it, saying it was dead, and not useful. Honestly, I want to learn it, it looks like a challenge, and the executables are nice and small, so why not?
_________________Politics is the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn't happen. -- Winston ChurchillGDNet-0.2 - rate users the easy way with this nifty Firefox extension. Updated with new features.
If you want to learn assembly, go for it. Forget what all of the naysayers tell you, they probably just haven''t programmed in it themselves. Some may say that it''s difficult and not worth it, but that''s not exactly true. It isn''t exactly an easy language to learn, but then again, most languages are difficult if you''ve never programmed in them before. And while most optimizing compilers can generate extremely fast code, knowing a bit of assembly programming can come in handly when writing complex programs such as a 3d engine (I use inline assembly in some of my C/C++ programs). Any respectable programmer should know the language in my opinion. Even if you don''t use the language much, knowing the computer at a low level will definitely make you a better programmer in higher level languages. For starters, read Assembly Language Step-by-Step by Jeff Duntemann, it''s only simple DOS asm programming but it''s great for beginners and very easy to understand. For more advanced DOS programming, get Art of Assembly Language by Randall Hyde (which is found online, get the old version not the new 32 bit HLA version). For graphics, get Michael Abrash''s Graphics Programming Black book, which can also be found online. Good luck!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement