Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

.NET mainframe and games??

This topic is 4983 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

what exactly are the benifits of makeing a managed c++ (.NET mainframe) game is a unmanaged c++ game better or easier?? complete noob please don''t shoot me

Managed is supposed to be a easier, and a teeny bit slower. It only works in the .net framework. Unmanaged works with any C++ compiler, but is rather hard. You get raw speed though.

Memory leak errors are virtually eliminated when you write managed (.Net) code. Lots of stuff is handled for you, plus the type system is less haphazard and inconsistent between languages, not to mention other nifty things like garbage collection and stuff.

Since I started using .Net and C# to write code, my productivity has increased about 500%. Although I don''t claim to have been particularly experienced with C++/MFC...

Snowman | Ardaxus | Nathan
---------------------------------
Tangle - Persistent World Toolkit
tangle.netlab.com.au

Here''s my comparison:

C++ w/ Win32 API: You''re either masochistic or stupid.

C++ w/ MFC: Not a lot of fun, but once you get used to it not terribly difficult.

Managed C++ w/ Winforms: Managed C++ looks weird but once you get used to that it''s really simple to do everything you do w/ Win32 API or MFC in about 5 lines of code.

quote:

Not true at all. I program nearly all of my windows applications without MFC. I''ve never liked MFC, and I never will. The better alternative (if getting the job done quickly is your main concern) would be either managed C++ or C#. But still, most of the time I simply code in C++ without either. Your comment couldn''t be further from the truth.

So is MFC good for game programming? I''ve just started on MFC and I thought because there''s a lot of stuff, like the document/view thingy, it would not be efficient enough. And what about MFC + DirectX, is it harder to use DirectX with MFC than with the Win32 API?

I would definetly learn the Win32 API. It teaches you things such as the WndProc function, the Main function, and introduces you to the C++ world of speed over everything else. If you use managed directx, write all algorithms in unmanaged C++, and learn every optimization trick in the book.

Sagar Indurkhya

quote:

You call a person who can code in C++ and the Win32 API stupid?

You call writing small, fast code that can run on all versions of Windows stupid?

If you want a good example of how managed code can make things easier have a look at the .NET Show that talks about managed DirectX. It has some good examples of things that can be done in a single line of code rather than 5 10 or 15 lines of code the traditional way.

I dont know a lot about it but it was still pretty interesting. Just google for the .NET Show and scroll through past episodes. It is an online broadcast.