Getting the rotation & translation from a matrix

Started by
1 comment, last by pedorro77 19 years, 12 months ago
Having a matrix with ... Translation(-10,0,0); RotateX(PI); Translation(10,0,0); (Rotation around a pivot) And if i unknow how much was rotated (and in which pivot) It''s possible to know the pivot, rotation and the location where is the object (without rotation).
Advertisement
The translation vector is the 1st 3 values in either the last row or last column in the matrix (depending on whether the matrix is row- or column- oriented).

For rotation stuff, the following document from Magic-Software (Dave Eberly) will be enlightening:

RotationIssues.pdf

Graham Rhodes
Principal Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
Thanks for your response and your time.

I don''t know too much about math notations. I hope (i need) one day to learn a little more about maths.

I was hope a DirectX function that solve my issue
It, is a simple matrix problem, there aren''t so much information in spanish about this.

I''d created a gif with my problem in order to make the question a bit cleaner.

http://personales.ciudad.com.ar/pedorro77/imagenes/1.gif

Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks,

PD: After see the gif... once made it the rotation how can i translate it (ie) 0,10,0 from the location where it is. (Rotation around a pivot affect the translation row)
If i multiplied a translation matrix by the result matrix (having the rotation & implict a translation) it doesn''t move from his location 0,10,0)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement