Underwater physic

Started by
2 comments, last by EverIce 19 years, 12 months ago
I''ve got some interesting in submarines moving underwater and collision them. How to calculate the resistance force of water ? What kind of resistance occurs when turning ? Friction ? How to calculate ? Any speciality in collision ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
If you''re just dealing with a single submarine then I think everything will work as normal, just slower (since you require more force to move through water since it has a higher density than air). Collision detection is normal as well.

It starts getting interesting when you have multiple objects and you want currents induced by one object to affect the others. For this I can see two options, either do a fluid simulation of the water or take two toy submarines into the bath, watch what happens and code it as if statements
"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.".....V
Search the forum archives for "drag" or "drag force". The equations for drag for objects in air can be applied to objects in water as well. This will partially help you. For example, this can give you quite good estimates of drag for the submarine as it moves foward, accelerates and deccelarates along its axis.

Since a submarine is a long, slender body, you will get side forces as well due to the water, and this comes into play when turning. I don''t have any immediate advice on this, other than to give you some search terms to try in google:

"slender body"
"slender body lift"
"slender body drag"
"slender body theory"

Graham Rhodes
Principal Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
joanusdmentia,

GOOD point about flow interactions with multiple objects! I think EverIce can ignore this and treat the objects individually---from a fluid flow/fluid forces point-of-view---for a first cut. The mass and size and slow motion of the subs probably means there would only be very subtle, higher-order effects due to flow interaction.

Graham Rhodes
Principal Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement