Snow glitter shader

Started by
4 comments, last by Galimatias 19 years, 12 months ago
Hi Im going to make a shader that handles the reflectiondots that is visible when bright light(e.g. sun) reflects from snow. The reflection is nown as "glitter" and it is reflection from icecrystals in the snow. Does anyone have some tips about what type of shader I should use?
/Galimatias
Advertisement
You could try something similar to the effect used for simulating metallic flakes in car paint. ATi has an example of this in RenderMonkey and the DirectX 9 SDK also comes with a sample demonstrating it - it basically involves noise lookups based on the viewer''s position IIRC. It can look pretty good.

-Mezz
Tnx for the answere but I cant seem to find the sample on DX9 SDK. Whats the name of the shader?

/Galimatias
/Galimatias
Sorry I should''ve been more specific, it comes with the Summer update 2003 SDK, it''s in the SDK folder under Samples/Media/EffectEdit/MetallicFlakes.fx file. It''s all in there. It requires DX8 pixel shader capabilities.

I would also advise looking at the Rendermonkey one too though, as it is better quality (but requires a ps_2_0 card as well).

-Mezz
I have a GeForce 4 MX 64 Meg so I cant use the shaders in RenderMonkey. Any ideas what language I should use? Iv heard about OpenGl Shading language and Cg but Im still very new to this area.

/Galimatias
/Galimatias
None of the recent shader stuff (at a fragment level, you''ll have more luck with vertex shaders) will work well on the GeForce4 MX, because, despite it''s name, it''s based on a GeForce2, a DirectX 7 class piece of hardware. If anything, I''d recommend upgrading your graphics card, if your budget allows it of course.

-Mezz

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement