Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Linked Lists Decleratoin from Class

This topic is 4988 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve created and tested a doubly linked list. Now I want to call that list from in a class like class something{ private: list *l; public: something(){l = new list();} dosomething(){ /*initialize data*/ l.push(data); } } int main(){ something s; s.printdata(); } However when I try this I''m looping through pushing mutliple nodes in a row my program seg faults in the dosomething function on the section iteration of my loop. Also when I inspect the issue futher the previous pointer has been moved from a valid memmory address to 0x18. Any help on how to declare this list within a class would be helpful. Thank you, Paul

Can you post the header file of your list and your node definition ?
Random questions:
- does the previous pointer of the first node points to 0 (or NULL) ?
- does the next pointer of the last node points to 0 (or NULL) ?
- do you check for 0 or NULL ?
- does the previous pointer of the first node points to the last node, and the next pointer of the last node points to the first node (making it a circular linked list) ? If so, do you have a mean to recognize the first node to avoid cycling infinitely within your list ?

Ghostly yours,
Red.

[EDIT: a few more questions:
- Does happen after eliminating nodes ? If so, do you correctly reassign the pointers ?
- Does it happen when inserting the second node ? If so, do you correctly reassign the pointers ?
Ghostly yours,
Red.
]

[edited by - Red Ghost on April 21, 2004 12:08:22 PM]

As I''ve stated above I''ve tested the list and it works correctly for add, iterate and delete my issue is when declaring the list as a member of another class then running it. And the issue occurs before I eliminate a node in the list. It appears to be a memory referencing error in the class definition because it works if I declare the list in the main file and pass it into the class, such as:

void main(){
list *l = new list();
something *s = new something(l);
dosomething();
printlist();
}

and sorry no I can''t post the header it''s part of a project I have yet to release to the open source community and the head of the project doesn''t want the source out there yet.

PS sorry this isn''t quite a beginner question but I thought someone might have run into the problem before.

thanks,
Paul

I think list is a C++ STL type. You might want to consider capitalizing it (i.e. List).

Assuming it is a problem with your code...
If it works correctly in main, then it may be a problem with the class you are putting it into. Go back to the main implementation, and rigorously test it, then create a whole new class (don't reuse the one that doesn't work), and test it there.

[edited by - Onemind on April 21, 2004 1:59:28 PM]

It works when declared in main and not when declared in Something.
Is your function DoSomething a member function of your Something class ? (does not seem to be in your first post or in your second post).

Ghostly yours,
Red.