What image file format good at compress?

Started by
5 comments, last by initial_y 19 years, 12 months ago
what image format have good compressibility and don''t lose any exactness?
汇编语言不会编
Advertisement
PNG file format
thanks!
汇编语言不会编
Implementing a PNG loader is quite difficult, I recommend looking into libpng if you want to use it in your applications:

http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/libpng.html

Looking for a serious game project?
www.xgameproject.com

Looking for a serious game project?
www.xgameproject.com
Depending upon the API you are targetting, PNG loading may already be built in. Both DirectX and GDI+ have built-in support for PNG loading. With other APIs, your mileage may vary, but you probably want to check before doing a lot of work integrating libpng or such into your game/engine.

quote:Original post by gmcbay
Depending upon the API you are targetting, PNG loading may already be built in. Both DirectX and GDI+ have built-in support for PNG loading. With other APIs, your mileage may vary, but you probably want to check before doing a lot of work integrating libpng or such into your game/engine.

A lot of work ? You mean the 40 lines of code needed to include libpng into a texture or image loader ? The 2 minutes it takes to essentially copy and paste the example code that comes with libpng ?

Use libpng, it''s a very good library. Very easy and simple to use, platform independent, and high standard conformance.
I also recommend using png, but I use SDL_image to load it. It works nicely, but may only make sense if you are already using SDL.

My 3D Pirate Game is in need of a better name, want to help?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement