Java games emulator for the pc ?

Started by
7 comments, last by GPX 20 years ago
Hello, I''m interested in java game developing, and i''m looking for an emulator to run jar files. i got j2me which can open jad files, but when im downloading java games from the interent they are in jar format and not jad . What''s the difference between jad and jar files,can jar files run alone , and how ? Thanks ahead.
Yoni Levy.
Advertisement
A jad is a small text file that describes the game, and the jar contains the game itself. A jar can usually run without the jad (depends on the phone), but a jad by itself is worthless.

shmoove
Thanks, so how can i test a jar file alone from my pc ?
Yoni Levy.
The same place you get your jar from should also have the jad. Unless you''re downloading from some warez site...
Let''s say i got my jad and jar file, and want to upload them so people can play them on their cellphones.
I upload both files to the same directory, and then what link should i give so the cellphone user would download em and would be able to play the game ? ..
Yoni Levy.
Hey, I''ve just noticed we are both from israel :]
Anyway, I tried to upload a jar file of a game i made, and gave my friend (with a cellphone supporting java games X_X) the link to the game.
The problem is, Hhe couldn''t download the file, the cellphone said that the file structure isnt recongnized or something ...
So i wanna know what files should i upload and what link should i give so he can simply download my game ......

TODA
Yoni Levy.
You put the jad and the jar on the web-server. Generally you''d give a link to the jad (in the jad there is a parameter with the url of the jar). On some phones a direct link to the jar can also work.
quote:
The problem is, Hhe couldn''t download the file, the cellphone said that the file structure isnt recongnized or something ...

Probably because you don''t have the appropiate MIME type settings for jad and jar files on your server.
Check out this document.

shmoove
Thanks, I think i made it work.
Can some1 with a cellphone check if this works for him ?
http://members.lycos.co.uk/netadvanture/wml/m.wml
or the exact location :
http://members.lycos.co.uk/netadvanture/wml/MyGame.jad

Toda raba !
Yoni Levy.
Tried it on a Nokia 3300. The jad worked fine. When I OKed the download I got "application not supported". But that''s because it''s MIDP 1.0 phone, and I saw that your jad says MIDP 2.0.
So I guess the download setup itself is fine, you''ll just need to try with a MIDP 2.0 phone, or make the app MIDP 1.0.

shmoove

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement