Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

partitioning software

This topic is 4984 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

getting the first disc of mandrake just for diskdrake is great, prolly the easiest to use partitioning program,(even easier than partition magic)

I would suggest using parted, and if you want a livecd to boot from, might I suggest the System Rescue CD. It is a fairly nice tool to have when you need a linux livecd to repair your system, I actually used it to FTP someone''s files(their windows network stack was hosed) to my G5, and then formatted their drive.) If your system has a graphics board that is able to suppport a frame buffer mode in linux, you can also use QtPartED on that CD, and it is very easy to use. I actually was able to split a 40 GB NTFS partition in half, and then use that free half to install linux on my PC.

quote:
Original post by CProgrammer
parted works great however it seems to only let me take like 3 gigs from my 70 gig harddrive.
Is this perhaps because my disk hasnt been defragmented lately?
-CProgrammer

Probably. Always a good idea to defrag a HD (if possible/necessary) before repartitioning it.