partitioning software

Started by
4 comments, last by CProgrammer 20 years ago
I need something like partition magic in order to resize my harddrive. I need this to install Linux as secondary OS. Anybody know some free software with this function? -CProgrammer
Advertisement
parted.

http://chaos.webhop.org
parted works great however it seems to only let me take like 3 gigs from my 70 gig harddrive.
Is this perhaps because my disk hasnt been defragmented lately?
-CProgrammer
getting the first disc of mandrake just for diskdrake is great, prolly the easiest to use partitioning program,(even easier than partition magic)
I would suggest using parted, and if you want a livecd to boot from, might I suggest the System Rescue CD. It is a fairly nice tool to have when you need a linux livecd to repair your system, I actually used it to FTP someone''s files(their windows network stack was hosed) to my G5, and then formatted their drive.) If your system has a graphics board that is able to suppport a frame buffer mode in linux, you can also use QtPartED on that CD, and it is very easy to use. I actually was able to split a 40 GB NTFS partition in half, and then use that free half to install linux on my PC.
quote:Original post by CProgrammer
parted works great however it seems to only let me take like 3 gigs from my 70 gig harddrive.
Is this perhaps because my disk hasnt been defragmented lately?
-CProgrammer

Probably. Always a good idea to defrag a HD (if possible/necessary) before repartitioning it.
My stuff.Shameless promotion: FreePop: The GPL god-sim.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement