• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dave

Where Are You At?

This topic is 5204 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What stage of your game engine or game are you at?, How old are you?, Whats your engine capable of?, how long you been doing it?, How many lines of code is it? Just like to see how well im progressing compared to others. Me: been going a couple of months on and off, 2800 lines, all texture blending, maleable cylinders panels, lighting, load xfiles with full maleable properties, i''m 19. You? regards, Ace

Advertisement
Im 19, first year university student. Ive coded a ~10000 line FPS game engine using D (www.digitalmars.com). At the moment its most impressive features are:

fully destructible geometry ala red faction
fully featured quake style console with script files
basic network features ie chat between players etc
uses milkshape models
material script system similar to quake3''s shader system

I started work on it just after christmas 2003.

just to add: ive started to lose motivation on my project, which is a shame because its getting quite impressive. How do you guys motivate yourselves?

[edited by - imr1984 on April 21, 2004 10:26:08 AM]

Our Game is 50% done, The game shell is programed on top of our proprietary game engine.

The average age of our team of 4 people is 20.

Our engine is 2D and is capable of many things.
It took around 2 years to build, and is around
10,000 lines of code last I checked.

-Retro changable API adaptors
-Plugable 2D Graphics Adaptor(Primary Direct3D driven)
-Plugable Audio Adaptor
-Plugable Client/Server Networking Adaptor
-Ogg audio files supported
-Propertietary 32 bit image format, with compression
-File encryption/decryption
-XML File reading, with conversion to Object Model
-Custom scripting engine, based off C language
-Fully automated image and sound manager
-Builtin map and sprite management
-XML Data Driven objects
-Builtin Animation controllers
-Builtin motion and collision systems
-Custom Windowing Engine(not win32)
-Builtin per-tile map lighting system with shadows and color blending.

Raymond Jacobs,

www.EDIGames.com

www.EtherealDarkness.com

I''m an over-achieving, over-engineering 21 year old that has the foundations (and I do mean just the foundations) for a general game engine designed and half-way implemented. So basicaly, I have nothing. However, it''s on hold for now. Work and philosophizing have gotten in the way. :/

As for motivation, obviously, it''s elsewhere at the moment. Time and a change of environment are what I''m currently depending on to remedy that.

Most of the greatest evils that man has inflicted upon man have come through people feeling quite certain about something which, in fact, was false.

-Bertrand Russell, Unpopular Essays, "Ideas That Have Harmed Mankind"

Well im still learning so motivation is high, with my engine basically anything it cant do i dont know how to do so thats why it is taking a while .

regards,

ace

20 years old, second year university student. Currently coding on a 2D jump''n''run game along with a friend of mine. ~15.000 lines of code yet, nearly (!) finished.

Most impressive features: scripting, quake-like console, solid engine, support for mods / expansion packs, ...

As to the motivation: I motivate myself usually by being a member of a small team ...

Indeterminatus

--si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses--

This is one of those posts where every person who posts is better than the last person . Its just like the ''What is your IQ posts''. Soon we will hear from the 12 years olds with 100 thousand lines of code.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I''m not 12, but 24. And it''s not 100 000 lines of code, it''s 200 000.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!