Where Are You At?

Started by
14 comments, last by dave 19 years, 12 months ago
Neat, an excuse to talk about my project.

I won''t be able to top all the big words used by previous posts (not without lying at least), I am currently working on a top-down 3d game as a learning project. It will be an adventure-like game so I can cop out without a lot of physics code. Current status is:

Terrain system with trees and other non-interactive thingies done. Heightmap system with 3d models placed on top.
Console thingy for in-game text output and quite a range of commands. Keyboard input works entirely by binding console commands to keys.
Culling system more or less finished - so far the graphics seem to perform decently (~200 fps on my ancient system while looking quite acceptable)
Just starting on the object-interaction and dialogue systems.
Advertisement
I haven't got a real goal so basically I'm just coding all kinds of miscellaneous thingies, eg. console and plug-in systems and such. Also, being very over-ambituous I've had to code everything over dozens of times. But, hey, they are starting to be bug-free!

Well, in fact a couple weeks ago I started programming something small one could call a game. Currently it can properly load ms3d files and generate balls at run-time! Collision detection and per-pixel lighting are almost completed. I'm going to focus on reality (not trying to code anything fun )
Project line statistics:Total:      2351Code:       1856Comment:    96Mixed:      37Blank:      436Net Lines:  1915 

I'm 19.

EDITS: I'm not only over-ambituous; I'm also a perfectionist..

[edited by - nonpop on April 21, 2004 1:24:27 PM]

[edited by - nonpop on April 21, 2004 1:24:56 PM]

[edited by - nonpop on April 21, 2004 1:26:31 PM]

[edited by - nonpop on April 21, 2004 1:27:43 PM]
I don''t write games, I write apps because you use them day in and day out. (Did I mention I hate OpenGL?)

My current project (see sig for links) is almost 10k lines of C++ source. I can connect to AIM servers, send and receive messages, set/unset away messages, and have multiple different accounts connected simultaneously. I''ve worked on it seriously for 5 months and dabbled with designs for about a year beforehand. I run it 24/7 usually if I am not programming to dog-food it. I am 22.

--
OpenIM 0.10 - a native, component-based GPL Win32 instant messaging client
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis
Currently working on a puzzle game involving hexagons (Check my sig...). Current status of development is, still creating a program to develop and test the main features like choosing pieces and such. Later I will write the real game from nothing, but 'porting' the code from the develop/testing program and cleaning it up in the proccess.

--------------------

Codename: HEX

Coming soon...

[edited by - VBBR on April 21, 2004 3:50:08 PM]
So you'll create an MMORPG, uh? Well, what about reading THIS?
i dont have an engine, but i do have 1000 some odd lines of generic code like timer, input, etc classes. I reuse them in every project. So i guess i could make an engine out of it if i wanted too
Just graduated college, got other interested people together from my college grad and opened a game dev studio. Made deals with the media & design section of my school and secured a lot of artistic talent (2D and 3D).

As for our engine. Been working on it for four years, around 120 000 lines, the latest and greatest for specal effects, swappable renderers, etc.. and has a world editor that I''m converting from C++ Win32 into C# .NET, and hope to make something of commercial quality to get things rolling. Also finished a master server that manages game server tracking and sessions using UDP and is written in C++ on Linux.

~Graham

----
while (your_engine >= my_engine)
my_engine++;

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement