Win98 Home directory

Started by
3 comments, last by encom 19 years, 12 months ago
Hi, How to get home directory with windows 98 ? c:\windows\profiles\user is it in a environment variable ? thanks
Advertisement

Hard to understand your english.

2 things:

1) Win98 dosn''t suport different users quite like XP or 2000 will. That path makes me wonder if you think it does?

2) You can set the folder it will put all the Windows files in at instal time.

I doubt I have helped you. But decided to see if I could anyways.
There MY 1s and 0s, I'll do whatever I want to them...
quote:Original post by Cyber-Ace
Hard to understand your english.
The guy''s English is perfectly comprehensible, and his question perfectly straightforward. He wants to know how to programmatically retrieve the user home directory in Windows 98, and asks if there''s an environment variable that contains it.

Your answers are correct: Windows 98 does not truly support multiple users (though it can have multiple user profiles, but there is no real protection of user data). User profiles must be enabled by the administrator of the target system, and then profile directories my exist.

User profiles are listed in the registry, if they exist, under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Software \Microsoft \Windows \Current Version\Profile List. A directory exists for each profile under C:\WINDOWS\Profile\.

QED
thanks a lot
I must save a file in tbe current user profile directory.
In the registry, there is a list of profile directory, but how to know the current one ?
ah, I''m going to guess as say that

HKEY_CURRENT_USER will have some information of use to you in finding out which one...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement