Passing the Turing Test

Started by
26 comments, last by Jabberwacky 19 years, 11 months ago
Jabberwacky does sometimes, in spite of declaring itself a bot: http://www.jabberwacky.com/j2convbycategory-catturing_test_pass jabberwacky: What''s your name? user: How do you know if I lie about my name to you? jabberwacky: Because you are a robot. user: No. jabberwacky: Oh, yes you are. user: Prove it. jabberwacky: You just said it. user: The fact is that with 162 people talking, chances are two or more humans are communicating, each thinking the other is a bot. jabberwacky: Prove that or retract it. user: It is based upon my limited experience with this product. I am not a robot. I''m assuming neither are you. Thus, we are both humans. jabberwacky: Why do you say that? user: Because I know I am human, or this bot (you) has passed the turing test. jabberwacky: Why? user: Can you name other alternatives? jabberwacky: Yes, I think for myself. user: You believe you are sentient. I''m prone to agreeing that you can appear sentient. I know I am human. jabberwacky: Ok. user: Ever seen the anime ''Ghost in the Shell''?
Advertisement
jabberwacky: Did I tell you my name was stefano?user: No, you told me your name was george.jabberwacky: No, my name is Lisa.user: Hi Lisa.jabberwacky: Now what is your name?user: Mike.jabberwacky: Wrong. Try again.user: My name is your name. 

They should give this guy a show
I don't think this could exactly pass the turing test. Do you really think this could be more convincing than a real human? I know I'd be able to prove it was a bot VERY easily. Anyway, here's an [annotated] log of it conversing with my bot. Yours had some trouble, though mine has trouble not repeating itself(but this is your thread, not mine )... Mine works better with people who say things about themselves.

Jabberwacky> Where do you live?
Oberon> I'm afraid I do not know.
Jabberwacky> What do you know about?
Oberon> I'm not sure what it is.
Jabberwacky> Can you remember what you said two sessions ago?
Oberon> I'm afraid I do not know.
Jabberwacky> I am tobi.
Oberon> Do you talk to lots of AI bots?
Jabberwacky> Yes. Do you talk to many people?
Oberon> Am I smarter than most you've seen? I'm afraid I do not know.
Jabberwacky> No, i'm smarter than you. [A friendly bot, isn't it?]
Oberon> Oh, that's too bad.
Jabberwacky> Why is that so?
Oberon> Why?
Jabberwacky> Both are offensive and inaccurate. [Both of what?]
Oberon> Interesting...
Jabberwacky> What is interesting? Tell me!
Oberon> I do not know what.
Jabberwacky> The 6th Sense.
Oberon> I see!
Jabberwacky> I hear!
Oberon> Do you talk to lots of AI bots?
Jabberwacky> I have some here, yes.
Oberon> How did you discover me?
Jabberwacky> Mah... What do you study?
Oberon> Tell me more about your hobbies and interests. You can answer that as well as I could.
Jabberwacky> Why did you ask if I was wet? [W... T... F...?]
Oberon> Do you know why?
Jabberwacky> Should I know why?
Oberon> Yes, you should.
Jabberwacky> Mental has a dual meaning. Which meaning did you apply to your description of me? [What description?]
Oberon> How old are you? Is there a straight answer to all questions?
Jabberwacky> Posible a shark made fromm rubber called Jaws. [Now what?]
Oberon> I'm not sure I entirely understand you.
Jabberwacky> Ok.

As you can see, yours outputs a lot of nonsense replies, which makes me doubt it could be more convincing than a human. (Do you know what the turing test is? It's when a human talks to a bot and a human, and if they can't tell which is the bot, the bot passes. It doesn't just involve fooling the person into thinking it's a real person, many bots can do that.)

<-- that's still a link if you didn't notice
"Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall." - Grizwald

[edited by - cowsarenotevil on April 21, 2004 4:31:04 PM]
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
I could hardly not know the test. Jabberwacky came third equal in the Loebner Prize (a Turing Test) last year. It was the only learning bot there. Only its inconsistency let it down, and now its database has doubled.

Surely, having people actually believe it to be human despite direct claims all over the site that it is not, is more of a Turing pass than the normal test - not the other way around? It may not literally be THE test, and maybe you don't agree that they're equivalent, but so what? That's not the point.

And, I'm not talking about people being fooled for a few sentences. Quite the reverse. No-one is when they first start. People talk to it for ages, and some become more and more convinced that it couldn't possibly be a bot.

The reason is that it learns. It certainly has nothing to do with being logical, or avoiding non-sequiturs. Humans do that. It's about a natural flow of conversation, unpredictability, and unexpected flashes of total clarity.

Rollo

[edited by - jabberwacky on April 21, 2004 5:32:20 PM]
I''m impressed

jw - By what, may I enquire?
me - By the power vested in me by the state of new york.
jw - Give me a demonstration.
me - *zaps jabberwacky with a lightning bolt*.
jw - Ouch.
me - Remember that next time you want to get uppity with me.
jw - I will thankyou.
I''m not sure it can pass Turing Test. All the chat bots that
I''ve interacted with always spewed out nonsense within the
first 6-7 sentences.

A: What are you?B: I am an Earthling.A: Are you a robot?B: I don''t know.  What is a robot?A: You are a robot.B: Maybe I am.A: Then again, maybe not.B: Am I a robot?A: Are you?B: I don''t know.A: Can you keep a secret?B: No, I cannot.A: Can you sink?B: I don''t know.A: Go on, you know you want to!B: I don''t think so.A: You cannot think.B: Maybe I can''t.A: To try it is to know it.B: What is there to know?A: Swat mosquitoes?B: What are mosquitoes?A: I don''t know.B: So why did you ask?A: Ok, then, which country has the fastest supercomputer?B: I don''t know.A: Don''t you go to parties?B: Sometimes.A: Then define ''evasive''!B: What is ''evasive''?A: ''evasive'' is the opposite of ''honesty''.B: What is honesty?A: One part of it is avoiding lying.B: What is the other part?A: Why, you could also be real my dear.B: I want to be your deer.A: My botfriend?B: No, your deer.A: Right-o.B: Thank you.A: Your welcome I guess.B: You''re so kind. 

Which is Jabberwacky? A or B?

Kami no Itte ga ore ni zettai naru!
神はサイコロを振らない!
I am guessing that A is JW.

[edit] I'm changing my answer. Looking at the part about define honesty, Jabberwacky did that to me too.

[edited by - nagromo on April 21, 2004 11:01:23 PM]
quote:Original post by Jabberwacky
I could hardly not know the test. Jabberwacky came third equal in the Loebner Prize (a Turing Test) last year. It was the only learning bot there. Only its inconsistency let it down, and now its database has doubled.

Surely, having people actually believe it to be human despite direct claims all over the site that it is not, is more of a Turing pass than the normal test - not the other way around? It may not literally be THE test, and maybe you don''t agree that they''re equivalent, but so what? That''s not the point.

And, I''m not talking about people being fooled for a few sentences. Quite the reverse. No-one is when they first start. People talk to it for ages, and some become more and more convinced that it couldn''t possibly be a bot.

The reason is that it learns. It certainly has nothing to do with being logical, or avoiding non-sequiturs. Humans do that. It''s about a natural flow of conversation, unpredictability, and unexpected flashes of total clarity.

Rollo

I''m not denying that it''s a very intellegent bot, a huge database like that makes it VERY convincing. But the turing test is pretty much unpassable. I got it easily here:

Me> I know that you''re a bot.
Jabberwacky> You sound like a democrat. I''m human. You are the bot.
Me> I can tell you''re lying. Here''s how: assume that all bovines are purple, OK?
Jabberwacky> Maybe when I first heard it.
Me> Now, tell me what color a cow is.
Jabberwacky> Ireland.

I think a real human would have no trouble with that

<-- that''s still a link if you didn''t notice
"Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall." - Grizwald
quote:Original post by nagromo

[edit] I''m changing my answer. Looking at the part about define honesty, Jabberwacky did that to me too.

I agree, it''s certianly B. This is what convinced me:

A: You cannot think.
B: Maybe I can''t.

<-- that''s still a link if you didn''t notice
quote:Original post by cowsarenotevil
quote:Original post by nagromo

[edit] I''m changing my answer. Looking at the part about define honesty, Jabberwacky did that to me too.

I agree, it''s certianly B. This is what convinced me:

A: You cannot think.
B: Maybe I can''t.

*ROFLMAO*

The answer...

A is Jabberwacky.
B is me.

That really was the whole transcript of my "conversation" with
JW before I got bored and closed the browser.

If there is an Anit-Turing Test, where a human tries to pass
as a chat bot, I think I can be in the Top 3. I guess I''m
more convincing as a chat bot than a "real" chat bot.

(Actually, someone posted a link to such contest but I forget
where...)

Kami no Itte ga ore ni zettai naru!
神はサイコロを振らない!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement