Recreating the 2d mmorpg world

Started by
8 comments, last by Metus 19 years, 12 months ago
I''m sorry for the confusing title, but i couldn''t make out a better topic for this message, and i need some serious answers regarding my game design ideas. i''ve got a pretty cool idea that''d bring the MORGP (i''ve left the Massive for now) to a new level. what if the player had an option to create a "MobMaster" - a non-physcal game character - and build his own army of monsters? the basic idea of the "MobSystem" is that the players doesn''t need to kill other characters (PvP) to actually battle other players. to control the "MobArmy", the player has the same basic interface as any RTS out the, like unit keymapping (CTRL + F1 for orcish grunts and CTRL + F2 for orcish axe-throwers). that would give you some hints of the game event and perhaps enogh info to answer my question: Should i try to develop a simple 2d version and perhaps use that version to demonstrate the game idea or should i focus to write a godly design document?
Ethereal
Advertisement
A prototype is worth a million words (to paraphrase very badly).
Start with the design document for the 2d versionn, them make that versionn. If that goes well, start fleshing out thedesign document for your next version. Make sure you have things planned before they come up in the coding process.

Btw, this is looking more like an RTS than an rpg. If the "MobMaster" is intangible they''re likely to be ignored by the player. They will most likely just play it like an RTS, ignoring the character that''s suposed to act as the intermediary. If they ignore the character, how is this a Roleplaying Game?

Another option is make the MobMaster tangible, even immortal, but not invulnerable or even directly powerful. Total Annilation Kingdoms is a good example. The commanders could build basic structures, and had some good powers, but the game ended if they fell. If you don''t want perma-death for the MobMaster, allow then to become ghosts and reform their bodies over time. Maybe this can be accelerated by certain structures. Another option is letting them "poccess" a unit, making it a the new commander. In this case, you should probably give the MobMaster tactical area effects (stat boost to allies and such) which transfer between hosts. That way the Mobmaster remains a distinct character even when going through multiple forms.

If you actually plan on using any of these ideas, let me know. I wouldn''t mind helping out a bit on this project. My backlog of projects includes a poccession style mmorpg and a play-by-web nation builder, so I''ve been thinking about this kind of thing for a while. I''d also like to suggest allowing research and alliances. In short, the players should be able to recruit forces, build structures, develope new technologies, and otherwise customize their units and armies.
Your MobMaster is basically a DM (Dungeon Master) as it already exists in several games. When running a UO-emultor a few years back we actually had a GM (GameMaster, the UO DM equivalent) interface similar to what I think your describing.

Also, look into the DM client of NWN, which isnt quite the same thing, but has the same principle on an omnicient character that can control mobiles (and world events).

I think if you try this, it''d probably be important to only have a few players operating in this fashion. As Shimeran said, if all the players act in this way then its probably actually an RTS.

- Jason Astle-Adams

quote:Original post by Kazgoroth
As Shimeran said, if all the players act in this way then its probably actually an RTS.

Then limit the system. Make monsters cost money or something. Like, a lot. So that the player will be forced to play the game as it was meant to be played and get stuff. Such as by raiding the opponent''s monsters with their character and getting cash.
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original post by Kazgoroth
As Shimeran said, if all the players act in this way then its probably actually an RTS.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then limit the system. Make monsters cost money or something. Like, a lot. So that the player will be forced to play the game as it was meant to be played and get stuff. Such as by raiding the opponent''s monsters with their character and getting cash.

Hrm, so kinda like Warcraft 3''s heroes, but every unit is a hero, yes?

- Jason Astle-Adams

the Mobmaster isn''t a physical character, it''s you and you will buy your armies with Mobsystem Points at the beginning of the game, when your army is defeated and you will have the opportunity to upgrade your army when your level increases.

when you mention dungeon keeper i can see the silimarities, but i have some differences as well and the thoughts you had that the game till turn into an RTS when there are several Mobmaster; yes that could occur.

There will be som kind of balancing between real characters and the player-controlled monster armies
Ethereal
quote:Original post by Kazgoroth
Hrm, so kinda like Warcraft 3''s heroes, but every unit is a hero, yes?

Eh, not sure. I''ve never played Warcraft 3.

What I understood was that the OP intended to have a system where the player could "buy" monsters and send them out against the other players instead of just plain going after the other players and PvPing them. Armies could be made, etc, etc..

I figure, if you limit the player''s ability to create an army, you can force him or her to go out hunting for cash and experience, or whatever the game provides. An upkeep for maintaining the army would also prove to be a good way to keep a player on their toes. I''m sure a couple of other things like that could be implanted.

I like your idea but you''re really just turning it into an RTS. Specially with using cash to create new units and structures, having spells, etc. However, it would be recognized by everyone as an RPG if you still had a visible main character. But controlled like an RTS. And now you have Warcraft 3

Actually the more I think about this idea, the more it seems to me like it''s been done. In many RPGs you have a party of henchmen controlled by the AI. In games like Baldur''s Gate and NWN you control them just like in an RTS, and you can spend money to have more, etc. I''m afraid it would take a truly original concept to break out of the mold =/
As i told you, this is just a simple game event and i''ll try to explain it furhtermore with an example.

Let''s say that I deciced to play the game as a MobMaster (MM) because there was a free slot (there is a rule of how many MA''s there''ll be in the world, and that depends on the amount of regular characters at that moment) and I begin the game as a Level 1 MM.

At level 1, I''ll get 5 MobSystem Points (MSP) for which I can buy myself an MobArmy (MA). In this example, an Orc warrior costs 3 MSP and a Hobgoblin costs 1 MSP so that leaves me with 1 Orc Warrior and 2 Hobgoblins (3 + (2 *1) = 5 MSP)

Even you can tell that this MA isn''t that good, but hey, a regular character (PC) at level 1 isn''t that good either, and my MA limits me to attack low-level PC''s and perhaps pillage some villages.

Everything your MA will find; gold, potions and items will transform into loot for the PC that eventually defeats your MA, but I haven''t decided how the loot is distributed between the MobUnits (MU).

When you have pillaged enough villages and defeated some n00bs, your MM gains a level (the amount of MSP will also increase) and unlocks heavier monster that you can buy. It isn''t decided if you can upgrade your army the same time you gain a level or if you have to travel to a specific position.

If your entire MA is defeated (and your loot is dropped ) you will respawn and you can buy a new MA, but it''ll take time to "spawn" so you can''t get a super-mighty MM in no time when your MM reaces higher levels.

Another rule is that a MM only can attack PC''s within a specific threshold to avoid level 50 MM to slaughter level 1 PC''s.
Ethereal

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement