Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Game Developer Newb would like help

This topic is 4980 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What''s up all? REALLY sorry if this has been posted a bunch of times...BUT, here goes. Would like to get into game development but not sure exactly where to start at, which books to buy...blah blah blah. I am a software developer right now(about 7 years job experience programming) and have CS degree, so I know many dev languages(C#, VB.NET, VB, little C++ and Java, others that aren''t worth mentioning), but I am not sure which would be the best for me to use to develope games in. I read the whole article "How do I make games? A Path to game development" on this site and it sounds like a reasonable way to get started...Start with a Tetris "like" game and work your way up. I saw that there was Tetris code on this site in C++. I would like to try it on my own with the help of that for a resource. I have worked with Warcraft to make levels for Counter Strike, but that is as far as I have gotten. I have a copy of 3D Game Studio, but I did wanna get to far into that if it is not the way to go. Could somebody point me in the right directions of, books, which dev language would be the best to use, tools...etc to get me started? Thanks VERY much in advance for your time!!! GO SOX!!!

There are many articles in Articles & Resources.

Sounds as if you can skip tetris and look at the enginuity series (about game engines).
Then it depends on what you want to do.
3d, free, Open Source and platform independent? Or commercial and WinXp with Visual C++ only?

You can and probably should look at source code of free engines and games.
I think you can't go wrong with C++.

---
Tolop

[edited by - Clueless on April 21, 2004 5:13:53 PM]

Uhh, I think you mean "World Craft" Anyway since you have so much experience I would recommend Learn C++ in 21 days. Only for experts, but you have 7 years under your belt so you''re already pretty advanced.

Hi, I''ve copied the following post several times already, but I have yet to receive a positive response:

I also have several computer game ideas that I would like to put out. I have developed games in the past, and can program in Visual Basic, and java, among others. I have been trying for years to get it all to come together, but it seems to always come down to this:

No company will bother to look at my resume and I just don''t have the time to work on my games without funding.

For the last ten years, I have been in and out of school and fast food restaraunts, constantly trying to make it into the game industry. My newest plan is to get some kind of team together and write up a business proposal where we will all be making enough money to support ourselves financially. I''ve considered going it alone, but I can''t realistically say that I have the skills necessary to publish or market any game I make. However, if I had the support of a whole team of developers, the government might take our proposal more seriously. Every game developer has their own area of expertise and we could each work on our own games as well as each others''. I think it could work.

Right now I am in Fredericton, New Brunswick, but I can see this business operating from somewhere in Ontario. Anyone who is interested, please let me know.

cwurts: How about coming up with a backup plan?
Earn money another way and produce something you can show potential publishers.

Everybody has great ideas.
Everybody wants to have a team for their ideas.

I''d like to create an all purpose 2d engine, platform independent and open source.
Does anybody want to join my team?
Pretty please?

---
Tolop|Andyart.de

Thanks Everybody!!! I will start looking into learning C++ more in depth. I will also take a look at the Articles on the site, sounds like a good place to start.

Drakkcon, yeah, I did mean WorldCraft :-)...Realized that when I saw the post after it was up...hoping people would skim right over that part :-) hahahaha Oh well, you knew what I meant hahaha

Thanks again!!!

GO SOX!!!

I'm guessing you're applying for a position as a Game Designer? Well forget it. All game companies look for is experience. You need to start as a programmer or tester, and work your way up. GDs are NEVER just hired off the bat. I know this from the responses to older friend's e-mails (job applications), and from multiple articles on the subject in case you doubt the credibility of this statement. Everyone wants to make a game, but considering the huge costs of making one, only those with credibility and experience get listened to. You probably WILL get accepted as a programmer though, because you seem to have very much experience. Just read many tutorials on this site, and books. After a year or so you will have mastered the general programming required, and won't have to support yourself with jobs you don't enjoy.

[edited by - Drakkcon on April 25, 2004 5:12:29 PM]

I agree with the people here that C++ is definitely the way to go. After 7 years of experience, it shouldn''t be too hard for you to learn. I would strongly suggest that you look into OpenGL and DirectX and never give up! Game Development is a difficult task, and only the best ever make anything worthwhile. But, I guarantee you that if you try hard enough that this will be no problem for you.

Drakkcon, oh no...programmer all the way...I just played with Worldcraft cause I wanted to make levels for CS. Just playing around to see how it is done and if I could do it. Yeah, of course I have ideas of games that I would like to see made, but everybody does, right? I wanna learn how to program games, put together a couple demos and then maybe find a job as a programmer. We will see where it goes from there :-)

4TheKing, that seems to be the language of choice for all of the tutorials/articles on this site. Right now I am developing in C# mostly at my job, so I figure I could find something with that language.
I just picked up this book "Managed DirectX 9 Kick Start: Graphics and Game Programming" to get me started. It uses the C# language as the primary dev language and it seemed to get pretty good customer reviews.

If I run into a dead-end with it, then I will consider going back and learning C++ more in depth though. I do like the "Engine" articles on this site. But uses C++. So maybe after I read the book, I can build the same engine using C# instead.

Thanks again for the information!!

GO SOX!!!

Right now C++ is the defacto standard for game development. There a couple of people out there making Java/C# games, but all the big game-dev companies have stuck with C++, and thier respective homebrewed scripting languages.

By the way, Epic games is hiring - probably ought to send your resume their way. Epic Jobs

Good Luck

[edited by - Onemind on April 26, 2004 1:32:13 PM]

Thanks Onemind for the information!!
I will send my resume over to them. I don''t really have Game Development experience yet, but have plenty software develepent experience. Can''t hurt, right? Worse they could do is not call.

Thanks again!

GO SOX!!!