Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Matsy

DirectX Common Directory

I''ve writen lost of DirectX programs ignoring the common directory that they have available. I wanted to start a new project, and I''m thinking about using them this time. But it looks great for demos, but I''m not sure about games. Does anyone out there have an opinion either way? I would of course be sticking to a certain heirarcy of things and think it might be better for me to use the classes that already exist. I guess what I''m really asking.... Is in the profesional world do you think they are going to be using these common classes on big projects? Or would it really be a waste of time and I should stick to the way I''m currently doing it? Since if I ever did get a job doing this profesionally I''d have to learn a completely different set of classes etc....

You are right - it''s great for demos, but not good at all for games. All it was meant to do was to provide a stable base for building demos that showcase a feature or two. It was not meant for big projects.

Also, they are not for the beginner just to jump into. The beginner should know how everything inside the framework works, so that when they go to write their own engine, they know exactly how to do it.

Dustin Franklin
Mircrosoft DirectX MVP

OK... thanks... for now I will keep going with what I am doing then. I wanted a 2nd opinion before I totally wasted my time. Yeah and this way I will get a better understanding of everything that goes into the API, and what adjustments I need to make in the case of strange problems that might manifest in the original classes. Thanks for the second opinion...