Is learning to write games in dos worth it?

Started by
35 comments, last by kikkler 19 years, 12 months ago
Reply to fredizzimo

In case you haven''t read the post, he''s talking about learning how to script a 3D engine! That''s about as advanced as you can get. Kikkler said roughly "I want to make a game like Quake or Decent". Now where in that did you get "I want to make a ''Hello World'' app and I''m not sure how.
He said he was new to "game" programming not programming in general. I wasn''t saying all dos programming is bad. I learned Basic in dos then Pascal then C then C++ then Prolog (huge waste of time).., BUT that was when I was learning the basics NOT trying to code an advanced 3D game. My advice to stay away from dos was on the part about a 3D dos game not learning basics.
I wish my lawn was emo, so it would cut itself.
Advertisement
First of all you have to learn c++... if you don't know how to make a hello world prog then you certainly can't make a quake game... especially that the fact that a large group of developers and designers had to create quake... if you never programmed in dos before then I sure hope you have LOTS of time to learn windows programming with c++ on the other hand if you want to do it in VB then go right away to windows since its really easy... or even better try to make a simple website if you want fast results

[edited by - snyp on April 22, 2004 7:56:08 PM]
Actual Linux penguins were harmed in the making of this message.
Reply to Ranger50000

Well, yes, I was actually commenting your stament more, than the OP

quote:
There just isn''t any reason to start programming in dos. Windows skeletons aren''t hard to find, and you won''t have to mess with dos memory conventions

That should read graphical games, instead of just programming. In addition to that, I also have a slight feeling that kikkler''s general programming knowledge isn''t quite ready for it yet. If it was good enough, I think he would have found out if learning game programming in dos is worth it or not, by himself, but I could of course be wrong.
If you''re interested in doing DOS-style programming it might be good to use windows, but do all your own drawing to a simple linear frame buffer. Either roll your own drawing routines to a GDI bitmap, which you can blit to screen every frame and deal with a minimal amount of windows code, or use a library like SDL to provide it for you. I used to do alot of programming in DOS when I was starting, theres plenty of oporitunity to learn. However, dealing with memory is tough, if you''ve only got a 16bit compiler you''re dealing with 64k sement size and segmented memory. You can work around that, or find a 32 bit compiler(which shouldn''t be hard) but you''re still dealing with DOS, which is becoming increasingly incompatible with each new Windows release. So, if you''re interested in writing your own graphics stuff, roll your own, and if you aren''t find a simple library and try to deal with windows as little as possible. If you want to move up so something of relese/commercial quality in the future you''ll need to deal with windows and move up to DX/OGL.

Ravyne, NYN Interactive Entertainment
[My Site][My School][My Group]

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

I''m not sure if "DOS" and the "console" (as in cout) are the same thing, but if they are, then yes I recommend you start out with the console first.

It''s not necessary to make an entire game with DOS/the console but do it to test out theories, functions, aglos, etc. I think it''s a BAD idea to jump straight into Windows programming, you need to get a solid foundation in programming first. For that, you can''t beat cout in simplicity.

I''ve always thought that a well-designed game was just the logic (maybe playable with ASCII in console-mode, even), surrounded by a graphics wrapper. I''ve always tried to design my games around this principle. So if you have a great idea, write a stripped-down version for the console, and if it works, migrate the code to SDL/DirectX/whatever. I''ve used this on every game I''ve made so far and it''s worked beautifully.

In short, separate content from presentation. The console is ideal for this.
quote:Original post by Odoacer
I'm not sure if "DOS" and the "console" (as in cout) are the same thing, but if they are, then yes I recommend you start out with the console first.

It's not necessary to make an entire game with DOS/the console but do it to test out theories, functions, aglos, etc. I think it's a BAD idea to jump straight into Windows programming, you need to get a solid foundation in programming first. For that, you can't beat cout in simplicity.

I've always thought that a well-designed game was just the logic (maybe playable with ASCII in console-mode, even), surrounded by a graphics wrapper. I've always tried to design my games around this principle. So if you have a great idea, write a stripped-down version for the console, and if it works, migrate the code to SDL/DirectX/whatever. I've used this on every game I've made so far and it's worked beautifully.

In short, separate content from presentation. The console is ideal for this.

The OP seems more interested in programming the actual 3d engine than the gameplay mechanics. I think that requires a bit more than the spectacle of graphics that is cout

[edited by - glassJAw on April 22, 2004 10:25:12 PM]
Even using C#, GUI based code is more confusing. There are still concepts like variable types and conditional logic that you have to know. You can start in any languge you want (they all have the basics like loops and ifs), but at some point you will have to learn C++.
I think some of us have forgotten where everything started, and doesn''t end
-Vigo
in 1981 - 1996 yes

1996+ If you want to make money no, otherwise maybe

but in either case, use C++
We are Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
Vigo, I totally agree with your 2 posts.
Im nOOb bigtime in game-programming but I began (2 weeks ago) with buying 2 books:

1 about C++ (Steve Heller) & 1 about Windows Game Programming (Lámothe).

The C++ book learns me where it all begins, with the bits & bytes and Cpu-registers and 286 machines and all the history. This is a good thing for I can learn far more now with the information flowing by because I know the background.

And I think that if you dont want to start of ''too difficult'' *Kuch* you can better search for another job cause you''ll eventually stop for your motivation = too low.

''too difficult'' = false cause there are n00b books like I have.

;D
;D 'Game-Power? Let players form their wishes within the code-range' ->> RPG me please. ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement