Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

antareus

HR in RichEdit? (now: security w/ WebBrowser ctrl)

I wrote a Spirit grammar that parses HTML and am working on a HTML to RTF converter for a RichEdit control. (Originally I was going to use the WebBrowser control, however I am writing a chat client and I worry about it being used as an attack vector should some fatal flaw be discovered in IE). So when I first started I didn't fathom that I would need to support an HR, but now I notice it would probably be a good idea, seeing how some people's AIM profiles rely on it. I considered putting a bunch of _'s when I saw a HR tag, however that looks a bit ridiculous. If I use an image there is no way to make it scale with the size of the window. Am I SOL and doomed to use the WebBrowser control? [edited by - antareus on April 22, 2004 11:33:27 AM]

I think you can use an RTF shape object to emulate an <hr>, but I''m not entirely sure. Either way the shape documentation in the RTF specification is midway down the document area description.

From my informal research on Usenet, I'm not sure the shapes will actually display in the RichEdit control since they are Word's. At least that is what a Borland guy pointed out.

Guess I'll move to WebBrowser. Am I being paranoid about the security implications of it?

[edited by - antareus on April 22, 2004 9:10:57 AM]