Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Xempest

PSD File Format Structure?

I''ve been searching for detailed information on the .PSD file format, the native image format from Photoshop. The best resource that I have found (a long PDF) is compliant with the 4.0 release of Photoshop. This is a bit outdated. I''m wondering if anyone has any information, or can write up a quick summary of the current PSD file format, as of v8.0 (Photoshop CS).

the Photoshop file format is an advanced one, i dont think
any summary will really help.

your best bet is the Adobe Photoshop CS - SDK
http://partners.adobe.com/asn/photoshop/index.jsp

or you could just try reverse engineer the 7.0/CS format based
on the PDF you have as there will probably only be slight
changes.
Make a simple document, say 30x30 pixels and add in 1 or 2 pixls
and go from there.

Hope that helps

I was trying to avoid using the SDK, as Adobe charges you a $195 minimum to join their developers'' network. Not very convenient. I have taken a look at a PSCS PSD in a hex editor, and in a regular text editor. It seems to have some scripting language at the beginning of it, then later cuts in to something similar to what I found in the 4.0 format specification. I have tried saving a small image from each version after 4.0, to see what changes exist, but I haven''t really looked into it yet. I was hoping maybe someone with access to the Photoshop CS SDK, or an older SDK from Photoshop, could help me out with this file format.

The DevIL (OpenIL) Image Loading library supports PSDs, and it''s open source, so you could head on over to sourceforge and check it out.