Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

david_j_noah

Problem with spot lights and point lights

Hello, I am writing a Direct3D-application in C#. My Directional-Light is working fine and without problems. When using a spot-light or a point-light nothing happens. Here is the code: global.device.Lights[0].Diffuse = Color.White; global.device.Lights[0].Type = LightType.Directional; global.device.Lights[0].Direction = new Vector3(-3, -1, 3); global.device.Lights[0].Commit(); global.device.Lights[0].Enabled=false; // works fine when true global.device.Lights[1].Diffuse=Color.White; global.device.Lights[1].Type=LightType.Spot; global.device.Lights[1].InnerConeAngle=0.5f; global.device.Lights[1].OuterConeAngle=1.0f; global.device.Lights[1].Position=new Vector3(0.0f, 0.0f, -5.0f); global.device.Lights[1].Direction=new Vector3(0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f); global.device.Lights[1].Falloff=1.0f; global.device.Lights[1].Commit(); global.device.Lights[1].Enabled = true; // Does not work Do you have any idea what is wrong?

I have not touched lights much, but for point lights, you need to set your attenuation. Try light.attenuation1 = 0.45;

Run dbMon with the debug version of DirectX, it will tell you why lights don''t work.

What are you shining the spotlight on? How many vertices are visible? Also, from your position and direction vectors, it looks like you''ll only be illuminating a wall/object in the XY plane. Also, you need to set the range value of the spotlight. The range is probably set to 0 and not showing up at all.

Chris

Hi,

the range was the problem. Thanks!

I used it before but had some other problems and removed it again because I thought it made no difference!

Again, thanks for the help!

David