Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vladacar

webcam -motion tracking in first person shooter games

dear all, i am trying to find a way to track people in the ''real''(indoor / outdoor) space and then move 3d players in the video game based on the people''s movements in the ''real'' space. i optimistically believe that this can be done with a webcam like in the eyetoy for playstation, or with some cheap photo sensors but i don''t know where to start. so, has anyone seen something similar in some 1st person shooters or in any other application that will produce the similar effect? The perfect solution would be to have it running on some game that can be played online. So people online will play against people in real-like spaces. please advise. thanks v

Object recognition is FAR from easy. But if you''re seriously getting on with this, you should start examining neural networks. It''s one of the few methods that usually work. But, as the eyetoy proves, it can be done. However, it must be kept simple...

When I tried to do this, first I made an application to play videos in a picturebox (in VB), then I could run my scanning code each frame (wrong language to do this due to speed). I had it set up so I clicked a pixel then it would track that exact pixel around the clip. It sorta worked. It would check a range around the pixel in the next frame, if it was there, that was the new position, if not, it lost it.

You should try:

If you can guarentee the user has enough contract from the background you could run some kind of edge detection on the image. Remove the interior lines, and you should have the silouette of the user. For things like crouch you could see if the silouette top edge was higher then a threshold. Same for left and right movement. As far as anything more complex, talk to MIT, or anyone else working on stereo image recognision (sp). Then they could move anywhere in the room with only 2 cameras.

You could use this for the first idea. Have it scan really fast and you will know where and how far away the user is.

Another thing to look into is the software that the RCX runs on the lego camera. It has some sort of zoned motion detection.

This will never be an easy task.

edit: If you dont mind dressing up like a fairy to play your game, click here.

[edited by - honayboyz on April 22, 2004 9:33:47 AM]

thanks.
well, i am really interested in the way you did it...
i know it will not be super precise, but it doesn''t have to be.
did you connect that with some game engine? or you just had motion detection software... in picture box>.??
my question would be: what software will enable me to communicate with the unreal engine for example or any other engine? has anyone seen some software that enables that kind of communication?
best\
v

I thought it was for your own game. I guess you could just create some big joystick kinda thing. When you step back it simulates keyboard events to the game, but that would be very hard to do. You would still need a mouse for look. You could hack a mouse apart and connect some kind of cable and spring to the sensor axels. When you tilt you head it would move the mouse. But you would probably have to recalibrate every minute or so.

My program was eventualy going to control a weapon (porbably a paintball gun) aimed by software takin input from either a camera or a IR camera. Stereovision software is really interesting to look at. I''ve never seen how its actualy done, but I think they usualy have some sort of proprietary hardware.

Are you trying to make a game controller to market for all fps game users?

Guest Anonymous Poster
Seeing as you don''t really know where to start, can I suggest a fairly comprehensive review paper on stereo vision:

Myron Z. Brown, Darius Burschka, and Gregory D. Hager. Advances in Computational Stereo. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 25(8):993-1008, 2003

This is particular paper is available online but many of the references will not be available without subscriptions - most universities take them out, at least digitally.

I don''t know how available these are to you but also take that as an indicator of the task you are undertaking.

Oops, nearly forgot!

http://www.cs.jhu.edu/CIRL/publications/pdf/MyronStereoPAMI.pdf

not a game marker..
but i am trying to have an art show in vienna, where i will exhibit this project as an artwork..
my idea is to actually play some kind of a paintball(motion sensors on markers) in the gallery, but against people who will play online in a 3d game.. combining these two worlds...
i don't care about which game. it should be some kind of a shooter game, but that part is not important..
so i will need some kind of help, a programmer, or a collaborator, or anyone who is ready to support me(in coding) for this. i will have to exhibit this in the 3rd week of june.
also i believe that i will repeat this on a lot of places, not just vienna..
any ideas for collaboration? or any software suggestions? maybe i should try to get some help from education (MIT or so)
v

[edited by - vladacar on April 22, 2004 8:55:22 PM]

quote:
Original post by vladacar

so i will need some kind of help, a programmer, or a collaborator, or anyone who is ready to support me(in coding) for this. i will have to exhibit this in the 3rd week of june.
also i believe this i will reapet this in a lot of places, not just vienna..

no offence, but it is EXTREMELY unlikely you could complete this in just over 2 months.

Ok, 2 months. You need to get started. First you need to identify exactly what you need. How much control will the user have by the mocap system? How much additional control will the user need? How will you give it to him? How much space will the user be aloud to move through? Answer those then you can begin figuring out your hardware setup. Then write the software to support it.