Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OutlawStarwind

Online Schools and what you think I should do.

Alright everyone, I''m being kicked out of the house at the age of 19, once I am I have to move somewhere relatively close to the community college I would like to/am going to and the cheapest one around here is 1100, plus gas, food and whatnot could range from 1500-1600 dollars a month. Now, in order to live like this I think I''d have to work a full time job, but what I want to do in life is program games... Thats my passion. Is it acceptable to go to an online school such as Game Institute, or Gamer School and get a degree from them, then try to get a job with a programming company? Would that company hire somone with a degree from there, and with multiple real programs/games under their belt? I can''t work part time and go to online school, because part time isn''t enough to pay the rent.. and I can''t go to college because then I can''t live anywhere... So what should I do, will a company hire someone with a degree from online and a lot of programming projects under his belt.. and is the pay good enough to buy a large house/whatnot?

*bump*

I need peoples opinions on what I should do, its pretty important and vital part of my life :/ I have some time to think about it because I''m only 17, but I''ll be 18 in October.. and thats when it starts.. so...

Any suggestions, opinions, whatever.. it''ll help.

I can''t offer any advice about those online schools, but what I can suggest is that you go to www.fafsa.ed.gov and look into federal financial aid to go to school. I think we all understand your passion for creating games, but I''d personally say that your best bet for starting out is to get what you can out of school and work independently on your game development skills. Get through a couple of years of ''normal'' school all the while working on indie game dev and then take a look at your options. Good luck and take care.

well you better get into a college and dorm in.
actually certificates and demos won''t hurt. but unless
you are putting out some really impressive demos (crazy old school 2D alpha blending or impressive 3D effects) i would definitely be striving for that 4-year degree. but certificates and such don''t hurt!

Um, online schools are a joke, especially if you want to work in the IT industry. They want you to be able to work with groups together, figure out problems together, plan together, instead of talking in cyberspace.

Degrees are just paper. Getting into the industry is about experience. Go to the local community college, or whatever you can afford and while there, try to get an intership with game company. Depening on where you live, this could be a problem, but try anyway.

The online schools are good for your own education. But if you are taking these classes for resume' filler, you should think really hard about that. Check the schools accreditation standing. If they aren't accredited by a body ceritifed by the US Dept of Education, don't waste your money.

[edited by - yspotua on April 22, 2004 12:25:24 AM]

Do What it takes. Plain and simple. You do what it takes to get you to where you want to go. This may sound vague, but it is just this simple. I am like you. I was kicked out at 18... almost 19... We had trouble living togethor and mom kicked me out, but are great friends now. I went to work retail jobs as well as being a carnie(by definition)... I''ve done whatever it takes to pay my bills... But.. I''m also going to school
I''m going to the local comm college at nights, and working full time during the day, As well as some part time on nights and weekends. I normally only get 9 hours a semester.... but.. its something. I''m 23 now.. and about halfway through school.

Its worth it. I may work 50 hours a week and 9 hours... But .. I still believe my 4 yr degree matters. It is slow... And sometimes painful... but... at the end of the day.. im proud. The semester is ending up now.. and... I''m happy.

I was not granted a perfect life... or even a life where I can just do school and no work.... But... I''m doing it.... And.. I know that I can do whatever I want.... I wish you the best of luck. Hard work pays....eventually... its karma....

-DD