Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rossco

Disable the X button on a Window using C/C++

I need to Disable the X icon on a window to prevent the user from closing the Window - I have a main menu form and an other form off the main form. I want the user to exit the new form and return to the main form using an Exit button I have created instead of clicking on the X icon on the Window. Please help I need this for my 3rd Year project in college due on Monday next!

Why not let the user exit by clicking the x-icon? It's the normal way in windows, and it's not particulary diffucult to find out when the user clicks on the x either. In c/c++ just keep an eye for WM_CLOSE messages, i think.

[edited by - __filip on April 22, 2004 1:10:42 PM]

[edited by - __filip on April 22, 2004 1:11:00 PM]

Removing the WS_SYSMENU style from the window might be enough. If not, check with the API documentation which style bit should be removed.

I looked through the MSDN manual and I couldn''t find anything. All I know is that it has something to do with "system menu" (atleast that''s how you disable it MVC++''s resource editor. Sorry!

/*
I use DirectX 9 and C++ (Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 Professional edition)
*/

ok, if you really want to remove the x-icon (personally I still think it''s wrong), use CreateWindowEx() and pass 0 as both the dwStyle and dwStyleEx parameters. And voila! You will then get a window without a x-icon. I don''t know if it works under WinXp, I''ve only tested it under win98