Distance of a plane from the origin

Started by
7 comments, last by deeps 19 years, 12 months ago
Hi, the equation for my plane is: 4x - 8y - 8z = 16 now, to find the distance to the origin, do i simply do this 16 / sqrt ( (4^2)+(8^2) + (8^2)) i have the equation of the plane given above, as well as 3 points on the plane as far as i know, the above method is how to solve it, or the answer is 16..but that seems too easy :S thanx for ur help
Advertisement
The distance is 16. Remember the plane equation:

ax + by + cz - d = 0

a,b and c are the three components of the plane normal and d is the distance from the origin (to be exact, from the plane with the same normal that includes the origin).

16 was my first answer...but it seemed too obvious... thankyou!
The distance is NOT 16! deeps, your original expression was correct: you need to divide d by the magnitude of the normal. Assuming you really want the *distance you additionally need to take the absolute value of the result, otherwise you are computing the *signed distance*.

In summary, the d term of the plane equation is only the ''distance'' so far as being the *signed* distance of the plane from the origin, *in units of the length of n*, where n is the plane normal.

Christer Ericson
Sony Computer Entertainment, Santa Monica
ok, now i''m lost...crap, i was hoping this wouldn'' happen :S

sorry,i didn''t quiet understand "signed" distances,..are you talking about vectors?

i need to find the distance of the plane from the origin
You (Christer) are right, Im an idiot --> i was assuming the normal was 'normalized', when of course it wasnt... sorry.

[edited by - psamty10 on April 22, 2004 2:26:38 PM]
so it''s my original thingi up the top... cool

wats a normalized normal?
A normalized vector is a vector of unit length ( |V|(magnitude of vector V) = 1 )

In this case the magnitude of your normal vector is 12, which is why I was stupid to suggest the answer was 16.

[edited by - psamty10 on April 22, 2004 2:30:43 PM]
ah, is that wats also known as an unit vector?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement