Extreme Noob!! Autoexec.bat???

Started by
14 comments, last by Javedus 19 years, 12 months ago
Hello everyone. I am new to programming but I really want to learn. I got C++ for dummies and while installing the GNU compiler, it says to add two strings to the autoexec.bat files. I am running XP and I cannot find this file, but I do find autoexec.nt. Is this the same thing?? How do I fix this??
Advertisement
You should be able to set up environment variables from right clicking on my computer / advanced - I''d guess that''s what you want to do. No idea about autoexec in xp though, sorry.
[size="1"]
Start....Run...

Then type msconfig and press enter.

You should be able to edit the autoexec.bat file there, in one of the tabs. (msconfig is not available on 2000, but it is on XP.)

I am at school right now, and msconfig is disabled by the administrator, but that should work.

EDIT: I was wrong here, apparently autoexec.bat is not one of the tabs Sorry

daveandrews.org - a Christian Programmer's Weblog | Dusty Engine - a task engine using Irrlicht | Computer Guys Run the World
How to be a Programmer

[edited by - Ronin Magus on April 22, 2004 5:40:25 PM]
Ronin M, I ran the msconfig but I guess I really have no idea what I am editing.
mrbastard, I did get the compiler to run (w/out editing autoexec yet) but when I wrote the standard "hello world" program, the program gave an error when I tried to compile and it said the file C:/....../ENV was not found. What is this?? Do these things all resort to the same problem??

[edited by - Javedus on April 22, 2004 2:40:52 PM]
Javedus I wouldnt even bother if I were you. I know the compiler that you are talking about. I believe it is called "Rhide"?

I would just download the Dev C++ compiler / IDE. You will probably like it much better.

tad pole is right dev c++ is much better, but if all you''re wanting is a command line compiler why not get an even better one? The borland command line compiler is free, I used it for a while its available at http://www.borland.com/products/downloads/download_cbuilder.html
Just click on the compiler link.
I wish my lawn was emo, so it would cut itself.
Why do beginners always have a thread with "?????" or "!!!!"
Javedus: a quick googling confirms autoexec.nt IS the same thing as autoexec.bat. Not having environment variables set can make a compiler not find files it needs, so yes it''s connected.
[size="1"]
quote:Original post by tad pole
Javedus I wouldnt even bother if I were you. I know the compiler that you are talking about. I believe it is called "Rhide"?

RHIDE is not something I would like to remember.
quote:Original post by philvaira
Why do beginners always have a thread with "?????" or "!!!!"
I think that''s because they are ultra confused and want to get things done as quickly as possible.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement