Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Variables Declared in Functions

This topic is 4986 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, I never fully understood this so maybe someone can explain it to me. Here is an example: BOOL MyFunction() { BOOL bSuccess=InitSomething(); // ok, if that fails no need to go on if(bSuccess == FALSE) return FALSE; // now I do some stuff CMyClass myClass; // ... do lots of stuff double x; x=666.0; return TRUE } Alright, say the constructor for myClass does lots of stuff, like memory allocation; if the function returns FALSE at the top will the constructor still be called ? Won''t the double x I declared be allocated on the heap (I think it''s the heap) even if it returns FALSE at the top ? I''m using VC++ 6.0. Thanks.

As far as I know the constructor won't be called, since you leave the function before this would be done...

edit: oh yeah and the double x will be allocated on the stack, not the heap.

Indeterminatus

--si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses--

[edited by - Indeterminatus on April 22, 2004 2:50:10 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
Nothing gets executed beneath that return statement. Also, myClass and double x will get allocated in the stack, not heap. Things are put into the heap when you use "new".