Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Necr0Potenc3

OpenAL and a spectrum analyzer

I'm quite familiar with OpenGL and I'm trying to do a spectrum analyzer like NeHe's dancing quad. After some searching I came across OpenAL which is a *huge* help compared to the waveOut method I was using. I just don't know how to use OpenAL to see which position in the sound data array is being played at the moment, so I can get that position and make the spectrum analysis of it. I could do it by calling a PlayWave type of function and starting a thread that would keep track of it, but in case the thread or the sound function fall out of syncrony (ie: high cpu usage) that wouldn't work. So that's why I need to find a way to get get the bytes that are currently in the sound card's buffer. ideas anyone? ps: no DirectSound -gR [edited by - Necr0Potenc3 on April 22, 2004 4:51:20 PM] [edited by - Necr0Potenc3 on April 22, 2004 5:42:25 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
With DirectSound you have total control over the sound buffers and the data in them...

I recommend fmod. It's really great, and if a specturm analyzer is what you want, then it's built in.

Edit: fixed link

[edited by - fredizzimo on April 23, 2004 5:40:42 PM]