Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lgc_ustc

Scene organization in an indoor/outdoor situation.

Hi, everybody, I have been brooding on this issue for quite some time, but do not have any good idea yet. It is: how to organize the objects effectively in an indoor/outdoor scene(for example, in a scene that appeared in the HL2''s demo in E3). I often heard that indoor systems use BSPs(like Quake series), while for the outdoor systems OctTrees are more effective. But how things go in a mixture of indoor and outdoor? I think we might achieve that in the following way: let each building has a bounding box and a BSP tree, and divide the whole scene using OctTree, so that we can quickly determine which building should be drawn; after this step, we draw the building(s) using its BSP tree to speed up (also for collision detection). So this is a BSP/OctTree mixture solution. Is this feasible? Or anybody has better ideas? Any comments on this are very welcome! Thanks in advance!

It's not that much more complex than a normal portal engine, except that when looking through a portal you draw the outside world instead of another part of a BSP.

GarageGames' Torque engine does this very well, but not for free.

[edited by - teamonkey on April 22, 2004 5:53:38 PM]

Well, that is pretty what I thought. When we are outside a building(ie,outdoor) and we determine that this building is visible, we draw the building in a BSP/portal way. We need the portal here just because we need to see inside the building throught the portals. Similarly when we are inside a building(indoor), we still draw the building in a BSP/portal way, but this time, the portals are through which we look out of to the open area, and at this time, we need to use the OctTree(clipped by the portals) again to speed up outdoor rendering. I hope this can merge the indoor/outdoor seamlessly, am I right? Or any other better solution?