How are in-game events stored and triggered?

Started by
2 comments, last by dave 20 years ago
i want to move onto the basic kinda "walk up to a sliding door and it opens stage of my engine and kinda need feedback on the trademark methods so i know where to start. regards, ace
Advertisement
Two of the most simple methods are:

1) The door checks if the player is within a certain distance. If they are, open, if not, close

2) The door is linked to some kind of trigger plane (set up in an editor or similar), and when the player crosses this place, the door opens. When he crosses it again, the dor closes

Spree

[edited by - SpreeTree on April 22, 2004 7:17:17 PM]
of course, you need to register the Door as an object that needs some fashion of regular "checking" to check if the player is within range for it to slide open of shut. I would suggest creating a kind of central registry that you can register any object and have it get "checked" every frame or whatever time increment you want ( and whatever it does when it gets checked is up to the object)
Generally, the level designer will place "trigger" objects in the level. When the player collides with the trigger, it causes the game to run a script or something.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement