Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ovie

New In town, dunno anything!

Hiya Peeps Right, so like everyone, I wanna make a computer game I''ve spent a hell of a long time planning it out, and writing out descriptions, etc. Now I wanna get down to making it a reality and starting with the code. I''ve got Vis C++ v6 that I''d like to use as a compiler. I''ve also managed to download a game engine called Irrlicht (which seeing as I''m a total n00b, I won''t use if told not to) Basically, I thought I could find tutes on the web that''ll get me started, but unless I''m just REALLY dumb, and dunno how to google properly, I can''t really find very much (on my level at least) besides the ever-popular "Hello World" tutorials. And seeing as I''m trying to make a Tactical RPG, and most of the gaming tutes out there are for just about every other type of game it seems, I''m just not getting anywhere. So would one of you kind souls please help me out by showing me some of the basics?

It''s good that you created a design document, keep it even though you cannot program. You may come back to it later when you are more experienced. As for "making your game a reality" without any prior programming experience is going to be very difficult if not impossible. For now, get the idea of making games out of your mind and learn the basics of C++ or whatever other language you may want to learn. Work your way up do DirectX, and from there you will be able to create that dream game !

good C++/game programming sites (also includes game programming)

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
http://gametutorials.com/

also try planet source code. The C++ section has loads of examples, source code, tutorials, everything.

[edited by - tad pole on April 22, 2004 10:06:15 PM]

Thanx fr the replies, and a special thanx to those of you that supplied those links, I''ll check them out.