Reccomended Books to Read for Making a 2D Final Fantasy 6 Style Game

Started by
16 comments, last by Nayus Dante 19 years, 11 months ago
quote:Original post by Drakkcon
It''s very advanced though.

I agree as well, but most call it an "introductory book" like it''s some kind of gateway book. If this book is easy, then I guess I haven''t seen anything hard, although it''s probably all relative.
Advertisement
Ok, my school doesnt offer the ONLY programming class it has to freshmen, and when i take it next year, its mostly VB. And i already have the RPG DirectX book, but its really not at my level and AGAIN, I DO NOT KNOW C OR C++ AT ALL! I looked at that book an hour ago and didnt see anything i can really learn right now, or until i gain a working knowlege of c++.
http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial.html
There are so many books on C++. Some people do better in class;
Some do better with tutorials (online); And some do better with books. I do well with books. I have a strong urge to copy and paste online, and any class I take at this point (I know C/C++ inside and out, and am learning DX) will be too easy -not giving me any knowledge. Plus I can''t take a class because i''m 14 Find your way of learning. Check the online tuts first (they''re free), the books second (they''re cheap), and a private class last (cause theyse fo'' rich folks).
well then learn C++. I dont think there is any game programming book that will teach you programming and game programming at the same time. Go buy C++ Premier Plus good book. or check out online tutorials. Yeah there is going to be crap you never are going to use but learn it anyway you will be surprised. keep trying and never give up. NEVER!!!!!!!!11

google is your friend.

[edited by - QzarBaron on April 23, 2004 7:27:13 PM]
"Go on get out last words are for fools who have not said enough already." -- Karl Marx
well damn stop being so indifferent! There is just not gonna be a book that covers everything, a book focused on directx will assume you have the necessary knowledge to apply it. To learn C++ I recommond Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days, or Idiots Guide to C++. Then for DirectX, tricks of the windows game programming gurus by andre lamothe is quite good. However, I highly suggest you use OpenGL as it is so much simpler because you do not have to write your own software routines such as image rotation and blending. You are definately able to use OpenGL for 2D, and although people recommend SDL I recommend GLFW as it is smaller and catered specifically for it.
That's why I said "there are so many books on C++". Did I say to go out and learn OpenGl in 24 hours? I think he understands the base knowledge required. And if he DID try to learn a complex API he'd stop once he realized he had no idea what was going on.

BTW: I said BOOKS not BOOK.

[edited by - Drakkcon on April 23, 2004 8:00:28 PM]
Ok, I think i know what im going to do now. I looked at amazon and found C++ in 21 Days, but i didnt like the sound of some of the reviews. Im leaning toward C++ in 24 Hours, as its a bit shorter and sounds like it does a better job in teaching.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0672322242/102-6701738-2152127?v=glance&st=books

On the subject of DirectX vs OpenGL vs SDL etc, let me say this:
Ever since i was about 8, i have had only what I can call an "allergy" to OpenGL. Whenever I play a game using Open GL for a long time, i feel REALLY sick. I know many people prefer OpenGL, but i do not. SDL isnt really what Im looking for. DirectX has everything you need to do a full game. Its sound, input, gfx, all in one. Mainly, it doesnt make me feel sick. Since im planning to go on to 3d after i establish a foothold in programming, i am going to start learning DirectX.

I found this. Its a general book on DirectX 9, and under 500 pages.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1592003494/qid=1082772015/sr=8-4/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i4_xgl14/102-6701738-2152127?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Once I read this, and have a basic understanding of DirectX, i can go through my other game programming books and get the elements I need for game programming.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement