is there an explanation on how to map textures on some irregular shapes?

Started by
2 comments, last by alnite 19 years, 12 months ago
I am not looking for a tutorial or anything, but more an explanation on mapping textures to a let''s say a triangle. Textures are rectangles, triangles are triangles, how do you specify the coordinates? Now what if it''s some shape made of a triangle fan, and I want to assign textures on this shape?
Advertisement
You don''t have to fit the entire texture onto the shape. You can have empty space. Frequently an artist will combine several textures together to reduce the amount of wasted space.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
quote:Original post by alnite
I am not looking for a tutorial or anything, but more an explanation on mapping textures to a let''s say a triangle. Textures are rectangles, triangles are triangles, how do you specify the coordinates?

Now what if it''s some shape made of a triangle fan, and I want to assign textures on this shape?

imagine the texture as a canvas, and the object outline projected on that canvas. You can project the outline of the object to fit the canvas, or scale it, stretch it, rotate it... the vertices of the projected object on the canvas define the texture coordinates.

It really is up to you how you want to map the vertices to the texture.

Everything is better with Metal.

this is called UV/mesh unwrapping:

clicky

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement