Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

_nomad_

diablo 2-like clone dev.

hi, i know the characters in diablo 2 are 2d sprites, but how about the world? is it in 3d? does anyone have an idea how diablo 2 worlds are created? i mean, it''s randomly generated (or is it?). thanks.

quote:
Original post by _nomad_
i see...so the world was modelled in a 3d modeller and then a 2d ''screenshot'' is used?

Well, not quite. Diablo 2 is a tile based game, meaning the ground and the various walls and so forth are comprised of tiles, similar to diamond-shaped jigsaw puzzle pieces. The various tiles, buildings, walls and such may have been modelled in 3D then rendered to 2D, but whole levels weren''t. Each object was cut into tiles to be assembled by the level builder later.

Doing it this way allows them to re-use graphical elements to randomly generate different levels, rather than having to do a pre-render of every level.

Golem
Blender--The Gimp--Python--Lua--SDL
Nethack--Crawl--ADOM--Angband--Dungeondweller

Theres a postmortum on diablo 2 linked on the articles. Its pretty good. They used 3d studio max to make their models according to that article.

I dont know but most likely 3ds max. Although any editor that can take screenshots will work. Nowadays it would be easier to just do full blown 3D. I assume that when the game was created, they wanted 3D graphics but most houshold computers couldn''t handle it, so they used pictures of 3D. Either that or just to make the animation process easier. (Doing the same animation for all possible viewing angles)

Intro Engine

quote:
Original post by Deebo
Nowadays it would be easier to just do full blown 3D. I assume that when the game was created, they wanted 3D graphics but most houshold computers couldn''t handle it, so they used pictures of 3D. Either that or just to make the animation process easier. (Doing the same animation for all possible viewing angles)

Intro Engine

I believe that''s pretty accurate. Blizzard has already stated that they won''t be doing any more 2D games. As my own isometric game grinds along, I can really understand that attitude.

World of Golem

quote:
Original post by VertexNormal
quote:
Original post by Deebo
Nowadays it would be easier to just do full blown 3D. I assume that when the game was created, they wanted 3D graphics but most houshold computers couldn't handle it, so they used pictures of 3D. Either that or just to make the animation process easier. (Doing the same animation for all possible viewing angles)

Intro Engine

I believe that's pretty accurate. Blizzard has already stated that they won't be doing any more 2D games. As my own isometric game grinds along, I can really understand that attitude.

World of Golem

I agree totally with you on that VertexNormal. The tedium of creating a 2D engine is insanity robbing and has been in the way of the completion of a game I very well wish to complete. Nonetheless I drag myself on through the bleak dreary featureless desert totally lacking of intellectual challenge (upon establishment) that is 2D graphics engine development. Alas I near completion and will actually begin work on game mechanics soon.

To help myself I do little things like dynamic lighting and shadow casting (the hacks fill me with disgust) heightmapping and fluid simulation based on the navier-stokes equation ( a simplification of a gamasutra article).

Here is an old screen from the engine

hmm.. I need to get the ball rolling again. To keep this from being a totally hateful post while also remaining on topic:

The best way to create 2D games is to model all the game objects with a 3D modeler of choice including the characters. To get the different animations for the characters you render all the animations done in the 3D art tool at different rotated angles and intervals with the animation to an image bitmap. IT is best to seperate the animation frames to different bitmaps, such as walking attacking idle etc.

The worlds are then made with a world editor tool in which the different images are combined to create a scene. To get the isometric look you simply edit the camera angle/postition to your liking till the renddered art has that up and back topdown isometric look.

[edited by - Daerax on May 2, 2004 3:44:25 PM]

[edited by - Daerax on May 2, 2004 3:45:10 PM]