XBox, PS2, or GameCube?

Started by
14 comments, last by WISMAK 20 years ago
Thanks for all ypour suggestions.

What matters to me is how much a piece of hardware is programmable (vert/pix shaders), extendable, and well-documented.

I also heard that PS3 is coming, so if I want to start with PS2, will it be that easy to change to PS3?

Advertisement
quote:Original post by WISMAK
What matters to me is how much a piece of hardware is programmable (vert/pix shaders), extendable, and well-documented.

PC is absolutely the best choice for you then (unless you register for the official development programs).

Niko Suni

theres openxdk
www.gcdev.com
www.ps2dev.org
www.thethirdcreation.net - monthly ps2 contest, great stuff there
www.gcdev.org
www.gbadev.org
programming forum at www.dcemulation.com or dc-vision

you get the idea. yeah, it takes a little work to set up for some platforms, but i''ve done so with each and its no hassle. gba you can grab an emulator (which is legal if its not including the bios.. most are legal) and program for free.

theres a large enough legal community for each console to get support for whatever you need. and aside from xbox, generally using illegal copies of an sdk is highly against rules of forums (gets you banned, no one helps you.. etc)
I also heard that PS3 is coming, so if I want to start with PS2, will it be that easy to change to PS3?

Probably not. From what I've heard the PS3 is going to be an absolute bith to program for (even worse than the PS2). Its not just going to be a case of telling the machine what you want it to do you have to tell it what you want each of it processors (7 in all I think, I may be wrong) to do indivudually. There's not a whole lot of detail out there at the moment though.

[edited by - Kafeen on April 25, 2004 12:26:41 PM]
I heard that Sony PS2 DevKit cost about 50,000 bucks, if it''s so, how come that many developers, who I doubt have the budget, develop for PS2, or even XBox?

When wanted to migrate to consoles, I thought it will be a matter of a free, official cross-compiler with a nice IDE + emulator + CD burner, that I can run on my native OS. I didn''t no that Sony is $ony like Micro$oft.

Sorry for this, but what does Sony kit include that it''s so expensive? Why I need to be licened for it?
I heard that Sony PS2 DevKit cost about 50,000 bucks, if it's so, how come that many developers, who I doubt have the budget, develop for PS2, or even XBox?

When wanted to migrate to consoles, I thought it will be a matter of a free, official cross-compiler with a nice IDE + emulator + CD burner, that I can run on my native OS. I didn't no that Sony is $ony like Micro$oft.

Sorry for this, but what does Sony kit include that it's so expensive? Why I need to be licened for it?

$tfu WI$MAK

edit: I'll an$wer your que$tion$. The reason why the kit costs "so much" (for a triple-A developer 50k is not as much as you think.) is partially because Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo do not want amateurs developing for their consoles. They only want professional, top of the line companies. To that extent, even if you have the funds, Nintendo has to decided whether they want you to develop regardless of monetary reasons. You need to be licensed because they want to control what you produce. This isn't like the PC world where Joe Blow can come up with a crap game and try to sell it on his website.

MindEngine Development
http://medev.sourceforge.net

[edited by - neurokaotix on April 25, 2004 2:15:45 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement