Air unit war ideas?

Started by
21 comments, last by johnnyBravo 19 years, 11 months ago
Hi, im thinking of making a game based on a war strategy game with flying units only, eg infantry with fans or rocket packs, helecopters, jets, blimps Has anyone any ideas of any other flying units, be specific as you want, maybe weapon ideas, just anything that pops into your head. It would be a futuristic game, based on the idea that the terrain of the planet is too mountainous to use ground units Thanks,
Advertisement
flying units only?

how about a mothership UFO from Independence day with a bunch of drone UFO''s that come out of it, that would be cool.
An important part of an RTS is variation, if you only have air units any unit can go anywhere anytime. It would probably be a good idea to restrict this as much as posible. If the terain is very rough it could still be used for ground stations (anti air sites, etc.) Rough terain may make it imposible to walk on it, but it could make excelent shelter/cover (the infantry needs to sleep somewhere )
Oh yeah, i was thinking of having land bases and all.
But all the units are off the ground.

Yeah I was thinking about having infantry being short ranged, so they would have to be deployed via the land base or some sort of transport.

and the ships could land in your bases.

Maybe some sort of fuel/ammuntion system so attacks would be harder to do then just sending mass units at the enemy,
I realize it''s not quite what you''re asking for, but I was just thinking of the interesting gameplay you could do with clouds - a sort of natural fog of war that varies over time. You could have cloud creation units and wind generators that provide cover for surprise attacks or keep vulnerable units hidden.
What I''ve never seen or read about anywhere is a high tech zeppelin, if you implent one you''ll be my hero.
quote:Original post by BoZo_
What I''ve never seen or read about anywhere is a high tech zeppelin, if you implent one you''ll be my hero.

lol, ofcourse, i think that will be my easiest unit to make, probably make it an infantry transport
Okay. *cracks knuckles* Here we go!

• A heavily armored, craft sporting 20 turbo-props whose sole purpose is flying through clouds of infantry and mulching them with the propellors. It would be relatively hard to shoot down because of all the engines, with engines on mounts designed to be replaced every flight just like missiles. Unweildy, a fuel hog.
  • Jet powered gliders capable of deploying wide strips of razor wire or chain from the wingtips. They cause damage just by passing by structures.
  • Flimsy gyrocopters with snipers (sorry, stolen from Crimson Skies, it''s a ship you can pilot). Can duck and dodge behind other units, or high terrain, like buttes or outcroppings of rock.
  • Suicidal AI missiles loaded by the dozens onto armored, bomber sized flying wings
  • Electrified dragnets connected to two large aircraft as an option to scoop up pesky infantry.
  • HALO (High Altitude, Low Opening) boarders that skydive onto bombers and capture them if the guns don''t pick them off
  • Cat''s Cradle fighter formation stringing monowire between them to disect or dewing other ships or vivisect infantry as they fly past at high speeds
  • Mineseed layers that deploy microscopic nanites which, when flown through, slowly dissolve a hull into goo
  • EMP missiles
  • Cloud makers that can create deadly walls of lightning filled clouds
  • Slow, stealthy hang-gliders that are virtually undetectable but have to use thermal updrafts
  • Holographic projectors that can mimic any part of the base

That''s it for me! Sounds fun!

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
ok heres the units of definately going to use so far,

infantry guys with 2 fans on their back, :laser rifle
Helecopter :machine gun
ornithopter /or glider :rockets
airship :not sure
quote:Original post by BoZo_

Seriously? Were you living under a rock five years ago?

The Kirov Zeppelin, the Soviet''s ultimate unit from Red Alert 2.
Abnormally large and solar energy charged!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement