what makes a good game - facts, not personal opinion please

Started by
18 comments, last by EvilKind 19 years, 12 months ago
Is there any written bible or article anywhere on what makes a good game and what does not? Take Super Mario Brothers on the NES for example; what made that a successful game. I'm not looking for personal opinion, I'm looking for facts if they exist. I'm also more interested in platform games than games in general. Thanks for your help, this forum always comes up with something useful. [edited by - EvilKind on April 23, 2004 8:32:25 AM]
I got 2 books, one on game programming and another on miracles so I can understand.
Advertisement
Mu.

That is, of course, only my personal opinion.
quote:Original post by EvilKind
Take Super Mario Brothers on the NES for example; what made that a successful game.

Well I thought Super Mario Brothers was not a good game.

Ok.. just kidding But the problem is that asking if someone likes a game is asking for opinions not facts.

Doom3 will probably be great game.. if you like graphics but if you want some superior gameplay it may not be the best.

There are a lot of articles about designing a game and also some books about the subject:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/article_display.php?category=4
They''re reviewing some books about designing computer games.

A good game is the collection of graphics and gameplay. Where gameplay includes things like AI.

People wil(mostly I think) buy a game because of the grahpics and the story. When they start playing they will notice how great everything looks, how well they can control their character and how their opponents react on them. All those things together should attract a player.

I like Zelda really much. The one for the sness is the best game ever made :D Because the world is gigantic and the puzzles are cool
Whether a game is good or not is a personal opinion.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
quote:Original post by Fruny
Whether a game is good or not is a personal opinion.

Thats the point, Mario Brothers did so well because alot of people had the "Personal Opinion" that it was a good game.

Also what makes a game a "Good" game? is it good when alot of people play it, or is it good when there are no bugs or problems with it?
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER OR MY BLOG
maybe I am more after what features some of the best platform games had going for them. for example:

super mario brothers
The classic game is widely considered to have been the first side-scrolling platform game of its kind, introducing players to huge, bright, expansive worlds that changed the way video games were created, played, and perceived

What I'm not after is Jim like super mario brothers because he got to climb the beanstalk.

[edited by - EvilKind on April 23, 2004 10:02:20 AM]
I got 2 books, one on game programming and another on miracles so I can understand.
Aside from fun gameplay, good control/interface usually makes or breaks a game. IN MY OPINION !
quote:Original post by EvilKind
Is there any written bible or article anywhere on what makes a good game and what does not?

... I''m not looking for personal opinion, I''m looking for facts if they exist...

That''s a pretty silly question. How can it be anything other than personal opinion?
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
What makes a game good is everyones personal opinion, the thing is not everyone likes the same games which means if you were to make a game that everyone liked (mostly everyone) you would be very limmited in what you could do. You would have to strike out fighting games because you get a lot of people that dont like violence, the same for stratagy, and other type i cant think of at the moment. But what i think does work (personal opinion see ) is games that are simple, colourfull and fun or funny. (The reason i think Super Mario Brothers did so well.)

So i think along the lines of Simple, Colourfull and Fun would bring the most people to you game.

But then again everyone could be lazy sad old bas****s.

You laugh at me because im different,I laugh at you because you are all the same.
You laugh at me because im different,I laugh at you because you are all the same.
And offcourse you need to think about your target audience..

If you target young kids ''Simple, Colourfull and Fun'' will give you a good game but when you''re going for let''s say around 18 years old(I''m 18 :D) you should come with something more challenging(how do you write that? :D)..

For what people do you want to write a game? And what kind of games do you like yourself?

I''m not going to write a game I really hate just because I wouldn''t be motivated to write it..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement