Game programming in Lisp

Started by
15 comments, last by robinei 19 years, 11 months ago
Hvor?

Scheme is very similar to Lisp, but lacks some of Lisp''s functionality. You can think of it as a subset of Lisp. (Boy am I going to get crucified for saying that.) For example, Scheme lacks packages, arrays, and hash tables.

They also spell somethings differently. (Like setq vs. set!)
Advertisement
Ok, thanks.

quote:Original post by SiCrane
Hvor?

I mean "how"! I actually managed to write the norwegian word...
If you want to see some games implemented in Lisp, you can look at John''s book of Lisp games . It seems they''re all text-based, but it should help somewhat to see how the logic is implemented in lisp (I haven''t looked over them, but I''m betting its different from the style in whatever language you''re used to)
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
quote:Original post by SiCrane
Hvor?

Scheme is very similar to Lisp, but lacks some of Lisp's functionality. You can think of it as a subset of Lisp. (Boy am I going to get crucified for saying that.) For example, Scheme lacks packages, arrays, and hash tables.

They also spell somethings differently. (Like setq vs. set!)
Heh, you could've at least mentioned the shared namespace for functions and non-functions in Scheme, higher dynamicity, Scheme's continuations or some other bigger difference instead of the obvious name differences. Scheme is not simply a subset, because it does some things quite differently. Here's a good list on Common Lisp vs Scheme.

[edited by - civguy on April 30, 2004 3:34:11 AM]
I just wanted to point out - there are lots of embeddable intepreters out there, many of them Lisp-like. You should look into several before you choose one - there are a lot of options.

Also, Scheme may lack hash tables, but I think most implementations of scheme "throw in" a hash table implementation along with a bunch of other handy data structures. Admittedly, it''s not portable to other scheme dialects, but that usually doesn''t matter so much if you''re using this as an embedded scripting language in a game. I''ve never tried "libguile", but it looked good last time I read up on it.

Type "scripting languages" (with the quotes) into google.

- Josh
There is a lot of research at my school NC State University, about using lisp for video games, especially plot scripting.

If there was a good wrapper package that was designed to make C++ libraries accessable to the lisp runtime, then lisp would make a great language. I''m currently looking into the issues of writing one myself...

> If there was a good wrapper package that was designed to make C++ libraries accessable to the lisp runtime, then lisp would make a great language.

Look up "SWIG" on google.

- Josh

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement