A little respect maybe?

Started by
29 comments, last by Qa303asmGuru 19 years, 11 months ago
quote:Original post by Qa303asmGuru
1. True, some of the posters may have left and would be unlikely to respond. But in a topic such as mine, it actually encouraged new faces with new personalities to post, and there weren''t very many questions asked of previous posters.

2. I also agree, old topics, interesting or not, can be irrelevant if dated like the example you gave. Again, my topic was not of this type, it was an open ended discussion/comparison. Something that I figured newcomers could read and relate too and get an idea of the personalities of some of the more ''obsessed'' programmers/gamers in this community.

I think your responses can be summarised in a single sentence: "Yes, but it depends on the thread."

I learnt (trial by fire ) in the GP&T forum that closing a thread just because it''s been necroed is not a good idea - I think Dave said something to that effect at some point. It really has to fall foul of the reasons I posted previously. If people are going to necro threads which aren''t outdated and which don''t depend on the original members still being present (and unless there''s a clean break in the topic of conversation, that''s difficult to achieve - and if it''s a clean break in the topic, why aren''t you starting a new thread?), then I''ll allow it.

That''s always technical/on-topic discussion, though. Your "obsessed" thread was off-topic for that forum, which is an automatic negative bias in the eyes of the mods - the Lounge would have been the correct place to post it. (Don''t ask me why it didn''t just get moved, because I don''t know). So that will have contributed to things.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement