• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Qa303asmGuru

A little respect maybe?

This topic is 5551 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I hardly considered my "You know you''re obsessed when..." thread a necro. It wasn''t that dated AND people WERE getting a kick out of it. Not only that, but I explicitly asked what time frame a thread may be bumped before it is considered a ''necro'', and the MOD failed to respond (other than indicating the obvious). I just don''t understand how I try to have a little fun along with some other people, and all of a sudden threads are being called necros and getting closed, people are getting nearly banned left and right...I mean, am I allowed to have an opinion on GD anymore or am I going to risk getting ban for that too? I''m not just expressing my opinions because one thread I posted got closed. It just seems like a lot of community respect has disappeared and it disappoints me that I feel I have to supress my real thoughts on a subject (reasonable thoughts, I''m not a troll) to have the privaledge of posting in these forums. Feel free to move this to whatever ''relevant'' forum you feel necessary. I simply posted this here because Game Programming was the forum I originally posted the "obsessed..." thread. -Q

Advertisement
Personally, I fail to see what the big deal with necroed threads is if they turn out being entertaining and fun/interesting for the community. Or why a new thread should be started with a link to the old one when the old one can just be brought back, really... But that''s just me.

O___o

I would have sworn I replied to this just a second ago. Anyway, I''ve necroed things in the past that have generated good discussion; necroing isn''t necessarily bad. It''s unfortunate that this hasn''t been recognized.

Basically, yu don't pull up threads older than maybe 2 weeks unless you have something useful to add and the thread itself is worth pulling up.

This is always at moderator discretion, but you can request a reopen of a thread VIA EMAIL.

[EDIT] Don't expect anything from Oluseyi. He tends to be quite...final...about his decisions.

[edited by - Promit on April 29, 2004 10:31:37 AM]

Alternatively, admins can perhaps set up an "auto-close" system that automatically closes threads that are say, 2 weeks old (or more).

Hmm now THERE is a good idea!

quote:
Original post by superdeveloper
Alternatively, admins can perhaps set up an "auto-close" system that automatically closes threads that are say, 2 weeks old (or more).

That''s in the new forums. IIRC, the time period before a thread is automatically retired is on a per-forum basis. i.e. Lounge threads might die after a day while Writing for Games threads might die in two years. (Obviously these numbers are just made up.)

Sweet!

I know you must have heared this a million times, but "any ETAs" for the forums??

Perhaps a vote to decide close-time for each forum?? (I think at at least 3 days minimum, even for lounge... sometimes I am away for a few days

Perhaps thread crapping wastes precious bandwidth, which is hardly free for the owner of this establishment. Perhaps because you have to earn respect, not expect it to be given to you. You are right about one thing though. Posting on any privately held board is a priveledge, kinda like driving a car. There''s rules that everybody has to abide by, and just like you have to suppress yourself from drinking and driving, you should attemp to suppress yourself from babbling about irrelevant stuff. If your ego can''t handle the emotional anguish caused by being ignored on an internet message board, or if you want to have some fun with people, perhaps you should get outside once in a while. I''m sure I could come up with more reasons, but what''s the point. You either understand by now or not.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!