• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Axiverse

Expression is a value

This topic is 5220 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

has anyone ever gotten this message before:? Expression is a value and therefore cannot be the target of an assignment This happens when i try to modify a structure passed through a property... is there anyway to pass a reference of an object through the get of a property?

Advertisement
this sounds like a result, in v simple terms, of sumthing like:

5 = array.size();

or something similar, u just cant do it, 5 is a value.

beyond that i cant really help

Hybrid

I imagine something like house.getAddress() = "12 Bakers Ave"; has been written. You''ll need to take the value to be assigned as a parameter in a new function (e.g. house.setAddress(const char*))

You shouldn''t return the inner variable as a reference, as this violates encapsulism, though it is possible.

blah blah blah.

wouldn''t that run fine though?

house.getAddress() = "12 Bakers Ave";

surely returns a copy (assuming a reference isn''t returned) and therefore assigns the copy the value "12 Bakers Ave" ?

im pretty sure that wouldnt throw up an error of any kind under VC++ even though it is probably not what the programmer wished to do.. it would just happily assign the value "12 Bakers Ave" to the copy of the house class? i maybe wrong of course

Hybrid

The subject of an assignment must be an l-value (a variable, array element etc). The result of, say, house.getAdddress() is not an l-value, the result of

int f(int a)

is not an l-value. Therefore, this cannot be done

f(7) = 8;

mainly, because it doesn''t make sence, but also because the returned result is an anonymous value (r-value anyone?).

As stated earlier, you can pass a reference to an inner variable whose scope is sure to be greater than its reference, but it is not a good idea.

blah blah blah.

PS: f(7) = 8 doesn''t make sense in C++, Prolog, for instance, uses this type of expression in matching.

blah blah blah.

quote:
Original post by Chris Hare
PS: f(7) = 8 doesn''t make sense in C++, Prolog, for instance, uses this type of expression in matching.

Were f to return a non-const reference, it would be perfectly legitimate, and could very well "make sense".

quote:
Original post by Chris Hare
The subject of an assignment must be an l-value (a variable, array element etc).

You can assign to rvalues of class type.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!